Thread: Jambalaya
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Default Jambalaya

Made batch of Jambalaya on Friday night. I try to measure the spices, and keep about a 2 to 1 stock to rice ratio, but the amount and types of meat going in usually just depends on what I have on hand for the most part. I used 6 thighs for the chicken and new I didn't have any broth on hand so I boned and skinned the chicken in the morning and made broth to use in the jambalaya that evening.

3/4 lb anduoille sausage
1 1/2 lb chicken (thigh meat)
1/2 lb tasso
1 onion
2 TBS garlic
2 tsp fresh tyme leaves
2 tsp sweet basil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C rice

Browned the sausage a bit in the DO and then added the chicken.

Kept the heat about medium and stirred just enough to keep things from sticking.....probably 15 minutes

Then added the onion and garlic and kept the heat on medium and stirred occasionally until the onions were kind of limp and clear......maybe another 15 minutes.......at that point added the tasso and herbs and spices.

add the stock and bring to a boil......once it reaches a boil add the rice, turn the heat down a bit and stir things for 5 minutes or so making sure no rice sticks to the bottom

When it returns to a boil, put the lid on, kill the heat and don't even take a peek for atleast 30 minutes..........I think I made it 40 until I could not stand it. I love it how all the meat ends up on top.

Time to eat.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote