View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
HSLS,
I have started to work on comp chicken myself. I pinned the skin way back with toothpicks, but I thought it made the thighs look too small, almost like big wings. What did the ones you judged look like?
The skin wasn't bad. I smoked them first for a couple of hours, essentially until they were cooked. This got good smoke flavor. I then put them on a kettle to crisp the skin, but had the fire too hot, so they burned.
Next time I'll pin the skin, smoke, and then put on the kettle with a cooler fire, crisp the skin, then flip them skin side up and apply my glaze, and let it set up a little.

I'd be interested to hear how guys who really know how to do bird do it.
Clark, the thighs looked medium sized, like they started with larger ones, trimmed for eveness, then had more skin that normal to wrap around and tuck under.

BTY, there were no grill marks on any thigh I saw, so they must not have put them skin side down at any time?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote