• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need Help With A Hot Sauce (Recipe?)

bigsapper

Take a breath!
Reaction score
This is directed to those who are familiar with the Wingstop restaurant. I've become addicted to their Cajun hot sauce. I've scoured the internet to no avail.

Louisiana Hot Sauce & Tony's isn't it. In fact, the sauce isn't heavy on the vinegar at all. The closest that I've found flavor-wise is Frank's Red Hot, but that's still to vinegary.

So, anyone familiar with Wingstop's Cajun wings know of a good substitue or recipe? I'm looking just for the sauce, I already have a good Cajun spice mix to add.

I did some searching and someone claims that they think it's Franks wing sauce and dill pickle juice. It's worth a try I guess.

I did some searching and someone claims that they think it's Franks wing sauce and dill pickle juice. It's worth a try I guess.

That wouldn't even be close. Franks is too "twangy" as it is. Adding pickle juice?

Thanks, tho.

Also, it's much hotter than Franks. I'm of the mind that it may be Frank's mixed with something hotter and darker in color.

I think they add margerine or butter, it calms the vinegar and adds mouthfeel. My bet would be margerine. The color has an orangey tint as well, very reminiscent of something like Franks or even Cholula once you add margerine. To be honest, I haven't paid great attention to it while eating there. But, it reminded me of that.

The last batch I did I used Franks and margarine. The flavor profile was close. I had some leftover cajun sauce from the last time I was at wingstop and the wingstop sauce is a much darker, deeper red.

I think I'm gonna mix Dave's Insanity sauce with some Frank's sauce and see what I get. (That sounded kinda gay. ... Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I think what you're missing in the sauce is something I do with mine.

I'll have 1/4 cup butter, 2 Tbs Franks (I'll add another Tbs based on final flavor of sauce if needed), 1 tsp tomato paste, 2 Tbs Tony Chachere's, 1 tsp cayenne (this is for mild heat imo), 1 tsp fresh minced garlic, 1 tsp paprika (I prefer smoked), 2 Tbs chopped scallions (optional), salt and ground pepper to taste.

Let all simmer on low while you make the wings.

Maybe it is Crystal and not Frank's, I tend to think Crystal when I think Louisiana

To me, there are so many styles of hot sauce, and there is one I am blanking on the name (I will go look it up) but the two styles of sauce I have come to most closely associate with Louisiana and New Orleans food is Crystal hot sauce and Tabasco, each has a distrinct flavor, that you can most definitely pick out when tasting them blind. Tabasco is dominated by sour and salty backing the peppers up, Crystal is less sour and has a frutiness that Tabasco does not feature as much. Those wings, to my palette, could be either, as I believe they have adjusted the flavors to the middle, while actually moving the heat down a tad. It is certainly not Frank's, which is much lower on the list of hot sauces I prefer. I would not be surprised if it is an adulterated Tabasco, as it is the dominant food service hot sauce, but, it doesn't ring true to my taste buds. It seems more like Crystal, which is my preferred sauce for New Orleans mass marketed sauce.

:oops:

As it turns out, it is just a Louisiana style hot sauce. I'll try to run down some Crystals to differentiate it from "Louisiana" hot sauce.

Back