• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

camo30.jpg

66280098.jpg

20946756.jpg

conedone.jpg

:thumb::thumb: Smokerking!!!! Drums look Awesome.....The last one looks like the Doc Brown: Back to the Future model!!!

What's the little tool/widget sticking up from the front left side of each Buford smokebox?

What's the little tool/widget sticking up from the front left side of each Buford smokebox?

That's where I Velcro my Maverick(s) digital thermo transmitters.

I run the probes through the nipples on the sides, one for the meat when needed, the other for the center of the drum.

thermo.jpg

What kind of nipple is that?

Allows for the probe to pass through, rubber grommet does not tighten around thermo wire. Not a problem.

Halex 1/2 clamp connector Home Depot 90661 $2.05ea
Halex 1/2"lock nut Home Depot 26190 bag of 6 $.73
Halex/Rigid 3/4-1/2 reducers (washers for thermo clamps)Home Depot26820

Those halex things are the bomb. Can fit four probes through there easily, no air leaks... I learned about them here.

My first build/not quite finished, but functioning.

And on the 8th Day god said "Let there be BBQ, and placed a majestic drum in my backyard."
Onthe8thday.jpg

And He then said, "let's season that sumbitch!!"
seasoning.jpg

And the neighbors said "Harold, I'm callin' the Fire Dept!"
VeniceFD.jpg

To which the Fire Dept said. "Ok you guys are cool, sorry for the inconvenience."

No longer able to wait for the weekend, we had to cook something!

chickenon.jpg

firstsmoke.jpg

firstsmoke2.jpg

Not a very good pic, but it came out well for the first cook.

FinishedChicken.jpg

Tried making a South Florida Citrus BBQ sauce and the recipe ended up tasting like cocktail sauce. We added a healthy amount of Jack Daniels and damn near everything in the cupboard and we actually were able to salvage the sauce for the first cook.

what is the general price range that you guys are putting into these UDS'? I plan on building my first one this summer, because it seems to turn out the best q for your buck. I envy all these. Once i build mine i will post it here, although i will be very embarrassed:oops:

what is the general price range that you guys are putting into these UDS'? I plan on building my first one this summer, because it seems to turn out the best q for your buck. I envy all these. Once i build mine i will post it here, although i will be very embarrassed:oops:

Generally what you can scrounge cuts down on the cost. Mine, I have about $135 in my all SS UDS. I'd post a pic but.....never mind, do a search.

Barrel $5 at a garage sale
lid from a now defunct company $49 plus shipping
BGE air intake, $40+-
bunch of SS nuts and bolts to round out the $135. I had the grates and antique milk crate.

Enjoy.......

Paul B
SS UDS

You don't need to be embarrassed. I built mine mostly with found, stolen, or gifted parts and only spent around $50.00 and that's including the paint to freehand the flames.

Every cook has been either very good or fantastic and I've acquired a few fans that call and ask if I'm smoking anything on the weekend and if they can come over for dinner.

I always say ok if they bring Beer or Bourbon (Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace.)

I have another UDS in the works that I'll go a bit more up scale with black iron nipple intakes instead of magnets and multiple rack locations that will cost around $125.00 to finish.

Back