How to cook lots of Baked Beans

For my catered events I will do it from scratch but vending on a daily basis I use bushes best and doctor them up but I also smoke them under butts and briskets for 6hrs. They come out great.

I to make them both from scratch and from cans.

Can version includes onions, garlic and often (if I like the customer and I have them) the skirts from my spare ribs, if idon't have the skirts, it's bacon ends.

oh the bacon that i use has been cured and smoked by myself. i cure and apple wood smoke pork bellies for bacon at work all the time. if you know about pork bellies there is the part that just doesn't lay really flat for serving. well thats the part that goes into the beans.

When we cook for a catered event, we make them up in full pans (disposable, doubled up) and cook them on the smoker. Then we serve right from the pans. I dont see why that would not work for vending as well... If you have cooling storage you could make them the day before and re-heat the day of serving...

I always make my own beans for catering. Sets me apart from the chain BBQ joints around here. YMMV on that. I use the large foil pans I get from Sam's I figure about a gallon of beans go in one pan. I figure one gallon to make about 50 servings give or take.

You heard it from the Poohbah. If you want to keep it up, take your chances. I have the keys when he turns his back, and I'm in no mood for BS this weekend. Just make that post memorable, because it's liable to be last you have for a while should you make the choice to continue on.

Phil is the 'good cop' but can get really pissed off at times. I'm the 'bad cop', and I'm always pissed off .....and this week isn't nearly as good as most.:eek:

:eek:

Phil is the 'good cop' but can get really pissed off at times. I'm the 'bad cop', and I'm always pissed off

Good-Cop-Bad-Cop.jpg

Book e'm Dano!

More Beans

I use #10 cans of Bush Beans from Sam's and I doctor them up and people love them. And I'll bet you could make the beans from scratch and get a great product, too. I just don't have that kind of time if I'm cooking for a big group. A small family gathering is another thing, But - taste is everything and I've made some killer beans that got raves and they came from a can. But remember you gotta doctor them or they taste like canned beans.

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.

The foil pans in your smoker are the best and most efficient way to do this, granted you have the space. Otherwise a roaster oven works well but can max out your electrical in a hurry. Those suckers draw lots of amps. Lots of good suggestions here. You may want to check out the road map as there are lots of great bean ideas there. Keri C's beans are always a hit and very easy to do. Good luck.

#10 cans of Bush's, 1/2 drained. Add bbq sauce, diced smoked brisket ends, minced onion, brown sugar, diced green chilis, and dutch apple pie filling. Uncovered in steam pans in smoker till thick. Cover and keep in cool spot on pit.

Yeah and check those cans of bean to make sure you don't get lids that are bent

LOL... Hold it...I have been writing scores of pages on this forum and hoped people would fall asleep before I pissed them off.... You mean you can just do that like right off the bat? LOL These guys go right for the throat... I love this chit. LOL

One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

and with that I heraby give up being an ash hole... I am done... If I had of known I coulda just gone out and said it...

I am done! Done I say.

You win... your better... I am done stirring it up. Done.

and with that I heraby give up being an ash hole... I am done... If I had of known I coulda just gone out and said it...

I am done! Done I say.

You win... your better... I am done stirring it up. Done.

Donny!!!! Tell me it ant so!!!!!! (Shane.... come back, Shane mod):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Look, guys lets all get along... there's more than one way to do something... and this forum is about learning and sharing. And loving one another and respecting their artistic expression of this thing we call BBQ.

It doesn't matter where your from or how you cook it, there is not WRONG way to do BBQ. From the thick, Juicy, tender, peppery crusty barked briskets of West Texas, to the Brown Sugary Glazed razor thin and stretchy shavings of the Maine Coast, to the simmered and foiled ribs of the low country, to the sloppy sauce covered, injection infused briskets of the Kansian land-- Its all good! There is not bad BBQ and there is no wrong way to boil, grill, smoke, soak in liquid smoke, crockpot, grind in a food processor or Dutch kettle it. There are no losers here or at the competitions...

Can't we all just get along? Shhesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost is an important thing. Quality is also important. Canned beans are expensive compared to cooking dry beans if you just price the ingredients. Labor is involved to cook the beans. Figure your cost of product plus cost of labor and compare costs.

Leftover beans are also an issue. Beans have serious cooling and reheating problems. Beans are mentioned at ever Food Safety class as an example of food that can go bad due to cooling or reheating too slow, and remaining at critical temperatures for too long.

If you have a commissary, and a way to heat and cool quickly, then home made beans are a good option. I have found that the beans that we make are much less cost than canned beans, and much higher in quality. We pride ourselves on our fine BBQ and the first time that customers walked away talking about how "awesome" the beans were---It kind of upset me. Most people today are used to getting the same ol' canned beans everywhere they go, so home made beans impress them.

Bean Arithmetic:

One pound of beans equals 2 cups of beans
or 3 pounds or 6 cups of beans will make approx 50 four ounce servings
so for 100 servings use 6 pounds or 12 cups of beans.

I am a BBQ Caterer but I am also a Chuck Wagon Cook and a Dutch Oven Cook so I have been cooking all types of beans for many years. My own belief is that the word "can" and the word "beans" do not belong in the same sentence, but that is only my own humble opinion. Check your costs--include in your cost the fact that you may be throwing out beans due to lack of improper cooling or reheating facilities, or storage facilities. Canned beans are an option. Canned beans are easy to store and are not labor intensive.

I refuse to argue with any caterer that uses canned beans---they may have reasons why they use them. I will simply steal their customers.

What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.:eek:

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.

Big ole stockpot. Kohls has a good deal on a 20 qt stainless pot

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kit...ood+Network+20qt+Stainless+Steel+Stockpot.jsp

I always use can beans use to use Bush but now I buy cheap store brand pork /beans doctor them up throw hickory smoke to them come out wonderful the secret is apple sauce it make beans rock it also store brand apple sauce. We not doing rocket science here.

I use canned beans for catering. My rig does not allow me to make beans from scratch, I barely have enough room for meat. As said above, your liabiltiy and labor lessens with the can stuff, doctoring is a must and a signature ingrediant will seperate your beans from others. YMMV:biggrin:

Back