Just got My Kamado (Acorn)...let the game begin!

The expanded metal mod is a must-have IMO...
next mod for me is both gaskets & trying to seal that ash pan :boxing:

I'm new to the kamodo thing -- what's the goal in adding the expanded metal to the charcoal grate?

I'm new to the kamodo thing -- what's the goal in adding the expanded metal to the charcoal grate?

not sure, just did it cuz 'they' said to!

just kidding, it keeps all of the smaller pieces of lump from falling into the ash pan. That ash pan gets purty durn hot as is!

:)

not sure, just did it cuz 'they' said to!

just kidding, it keeps all of the smaller pieces of lump from falling into the ash pan. That ash pan gets purty durn hot as is!

:)

Ah, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

I'm in the middle of building my UDS but find myself stopping at Lowe's more and more frequently just to peek at the Akorn. Tell me there's a cure for OCC (Obsessive Cooker Collection)...

You are going to love the Akorn. I've never been into grilling for real until I got this thing. I noticed a big difference after the main gasket mod. Holds temps like a trooper now.

I really like the Smoking Stone that Akorn sells. You can only by it over the phone from them but it seems to work very well to distribute heat evenly.

Yeah I got the 13" stone from Lowes and wish it were bigger... If any edges stick over the diffuser they usually end up toasty.

I Need to visit the gasket mod section to see if any recommendations have changed over the last few months before pulling the trigger. :)

I don't really see why everybody assumes that you need to replace the gaskets and such? Mine holds temp like an oven right out of the box.

I don't really see why everybody assumes that you need to replace the gaskets and such? Mine holds temp like an oven right out of the box.

Mine held great for quite awhile too. Then I started cooking pizzas at high temps on it & soon after I realized the paint on the ash pan was changing colors due to the high heat. I then did the expanded metal mod to keep the small lump from sitting directly in the pan. Now my bottom gasket is 'crunchy' and sticking to the ash pan after any decent cook. I have a noticeable draft from the ash pan gasket & realize it is time to replace.

No assumptions here...:thumb:

I'm doing my burn in now! Heck with the pics...here's a video to show yas what I did so far.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f473k5h5ZmA"]Kamado Patty Killer - The Char-Griller Acorn Charcoal Grill - Youtube Video - YouTube[/ame]

You're welcome! It's 2000 degree header paint. I am very curious to see how the color holds up as well.

One note...I noticed one of the bolts on one of the leg supports that goes is broke off. They must have over tightened it. I will try to extract and replace it.

Mine held great for quite awhile too. Then I started cooking pizzas at high temps on it & soon after I realized the paint on the ash pan was changing colors due to the high heat. I then did the expanded metal mod to keep the small lump from sitting directly in the pan. Now my bottom gasket is 'crunchy' and sticking to the ash pan after any decent cook. I have a noticeable draft from the ash pan gasket & realize it is time to replace.

No assumptions here...:thumb:

Maybe that's it-I never heat mine up to copper-smelting temps. I've tried the high-temp pizza that's the going thing, but I honestly greatly prefer mine with a thick crust that's crispy on the outside and soft inside instead of the thin crunchy pizza that everybody else seems to like. I like my pizza cooked at around 400-450*. That's about the hottest I ever get mine, if I want to sear a steak or something that requires really high heat, I can do it a lot quicker and easier in my barrel grill with an adjustable coal grate. To me, the Akorn shines at long, low-temp cooks, or for cooking stuff like chicken and such at medium temps, or for baking stuff. I have better options for high-temp.

Maybe that's it-I never heat mine up to copper-smelting temps. I've tried the high-temp pizza that's the going thing, but I honestly greatly prefer mine with a thick crust that's crispy on the outside and soft inside instead of the thin crunchy pizza that everybody else seems to like. I like my pizza cooked at around 400-450*. That's about the hottest I ever get mine, if I want to sear a steak or something that requires really high heat, I can do it a lot quicker and easier in my barrel grill with an adjustable coal grate. To me, the Akorn shines at long, low-temp cooks, or for cooking stuff like chicken and such at medium temps, or for baking stuff. I have better options for high-temp.

I'm still in the "drool-yet-resist" stage, but I imagine GrillGrates would be an excellent investment for a Komodo owner..

Back