New BBQ Documentary

Zombie Barbecue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been competing for 3 years now and I am fully engulfed (as you are) in the world of bbq competition. Ive worked in tv/film to pay for my hobbies for over 10 years now and Ive also written/directed a number of horror movies and a feature length comedy, Nacho Mountain.

My question is to the bbq brethren, What would you want to see showcased or shown in a bbq competition documentary. I am in the early stages of developing a full length documentary of the sport of bbq competition. I am going to follow a few teams (some new, some old, some good, some bad) and showcase their seasons, I want to highlight competition style recipes and processes and I also want to showcase the amount of time/money/energy that really goes into making competition bbq.

I know bbq pitmasters (1st season) has sort of done this already, but Im not doing this to highlight myron mixons muffin pan technique. I wanna show the true sport/camaraderie of competing.

So what are some things you would want to see in such a film?
more technique/recipe of the 4 meats (kcbs)?
would you want to know more about the competitors? or the equipment?
lemme know, all thoughts are welcomed.

I'd like to see the personal aspect of it along with some technique. I think the thing about BBQ P 1 that pulled people in was you liked the people and rooted for some of them along the way. All in all, I like where you are going with it.

I'd like to see very different people profiled. Urban vs. rural, old vs. young, experienced vs. new, etc.

I'd like to see an exploration of why they got into competition BBQ and where they are now compared to what their original concept was.

I'd like to see different approaches to competition BBQ. Those out for the trophies and $ vs. those out to have a good time with friends and family vs. those that try to meld the two.

I'd like to see some 'behind the curtain' stuff. How events are put together, how they benefit the community that they are held in, why some succeed and others fail, etc.

Hope that helps!

Eric

I am with Scottie the people are the story, there are a ton of good folks and quite a few "characters" that make up the core of competition BBQ. Technique and recipes would be interesting stuff, but I wonder how much detail you could go into when telling the story due to the time involved. I think it is interesting detailing the time and effort involved in cooking a contest, as well as the drive of some of the teams that cook a lot. You have cooks that lead shots, hold prayers, give out cherries and shout “barrrbeeequeeeee” to mention a few of the characters. The list is long as well for those that do good things, Scotties foundation, teams that cook when disaster strikes, cooking for veterans, teams that donate all of their winnings, etc. To me it looks like a lot of angles and plenty of fodder for more than a few interesting stories, good luck with your idea.

yes indeed. the people make the story. I really like focusing on atleast a small segment on what its like to host a bbq comp and the benefits it has on the community/cause. thanks eric for that one. keep em coming.

The problem with the food is that most of the top teams use similar techniques and similar store bought products. Anything interesting won't be very successful.

I am with Scottie the people are the story, there are a ton of good folks and quite a few "characters" that make up the core of competition BBQ. Technique and recipes would be interesting stuff, but I wonder how much detail you could go into when telling the story due to the time involved. I think it is interesting detailing the time and effort involved in cooking a contest, as well as the drive of some of the teams that cook a lot. You have cooks that lead shots, hold prayers, give out cherries and shout “barrrbeeequeeeee” to mention a few of the characters. The list is long as well for those that do good things, Scotties foundation, teams that cook when disaster strikes, cooking for veterans, teams that donate all of their winnings, etc. To me it looks like a lot of angles and plenty of fodder for more than a few interesting stories, good luck with your idea.

^^^^

Your idea is a good one... people who are not only competitors, but who has promoted bbq outside the circuit. People (forum admins), volunteers cooking for the churches, community, charities events, troop cooks... etc.

[disclaimer... not talking about me as an example... have a body and face for radio]

We have all bs’d about this at one time or another. One thing that we really wanted to see was the winners and how they prepared. (No secrets just what their day is like) It was once mentioned, why someone doesn’t hire a bunch of college media kids to come out and cover a bunch of teams. Most of which would end up on the cutting room floor. But you would have a much better chance of catching the winners. Cheap footage for the person doing the film … good experience for the college kids. Plus, I’ll bet the teams being covered would like to buy their coverage that didn’t make the show.

And lastly I want to see footage of cooks who drink too much. I hate people who don’t know when to stop drinking. (I wont mention any names ... Pat) :)

The think i liked most about bbq pitmasters season 1 is because it was more about the competitors than a recipe. Sure there were little tips and tricks here and there but following the teams around was interesting to me. A lot of good people out there in the bbq world.

I'd like to see the personal aspect of it along with some technique. I think the thing about BBQ P 1 that pulled people in was you liked the people and rooted for some of them along the way. All in all, I like where you are going with it.

I'd like to see the personality aspect, too -- both good and bad. The quiet professionals, the colorful "entertainers", the arse-holes, the fun and games, and the pissing contests.

Also, a good mix of triumphs over adversity, and meltdowns.

I don't like documentaries that just show either the positive or the negative. I like to see the whole story.

CD

I'd like to see the working heart of BBQ come out in a film. We all cook, we all brag, we all buy our gear, but why we do we compete with each other...really. It goes a lot deeper than you think. When you've been doing this as long as some of us have, you find people with passionate heart. It's a commitment of strong relationships and BBQ is it's bond between them.

Amen to all my brothers and sisters!

Rich and Bunny
KCass BBQ established since 1987

No documentary on BBQ competitions would be complete without showcasing the judges as well. From certification to master judge.
Also would be great to see the different regional aspects of each competition (and judging)

For his "rookie" year in competition BBQ, one of the cookers in Louisiana chronicled the contests he cooked at or attended (IBCA, KCBS, MBN) (you can see them at http://www.yokeup.net/BBQ.html).

While these aren't a complete BBQ documentary (if they were, I'd expect the perspective of the judges and organizers to be highlighted as well), I think he captured the interaction between the competitors really well!

Lynn H.
http://www.yokeup.net/BBQ.html

I would read "The Grill of Victory: Hot Competition on the Barbecue Circuit" By William Brohaugh... Great way of presenting competiton bbq to the masses

Thanks for the book, just ordered a copy for myself.

Back to the main thread here, my team has thought about just capturing everything we do from prep to waiting for results, with everything in between. It would be cool just to share with people who don't know much about these events.

I absolutely loved Season 1 of BBQ Pitmasters....can't believe they changed the format. I love seeing the equipment they cook on and use, little tips and techniques but also getting to know the competitors you choose to follow, like their homes, how they prepare for a comp and how and where they buy their meat, how they travel to the comps and seeing the places they compete and elements they are forced to deal with.

Oh, where to start...

I think you need to find a hero vs. villain aspect to keep it interesting. Pitmasters season 1 hit on that with Myron being viewed as the villain and the rest as heroes. Also having a victim isn't bad either - that poor kid from Texas (can't remember his name) who thought he was all hot chit and got it handed to him time after time was compelling then having Johnny mentor him at the Royal was very telling of what BBQ is all about.

One other thing I would like to see is the family story - look at Swine Assassins or Smoke on Wheels - great stories of a family affair.

You should also look at what goes into a contest, what the teams go through to get prepared from planning their season, selecting meats, prepping for contests, and the set ups. Once on site, cover not only the Saturday turn in "rush"/panic and awards but the Friday night camaraderie.

I also like the idea of covering the judges - they have great stories to tell. Just sit down with Dave (Rookie'48 ) and you will see what I mean.

You should also look at what goes on behind the scenes from the contest organizers - how they get the whole game going.

Basically, you have a blank slate - where to go with it is ultimately up to you, but no matter how you view it, you'll have many angles you can cover. Best of luck and keep us up dated on your progress.

I would like to see some coverage of the local teams that don't travel. There are some great cooks that only cook once or twice a year.

yes I would love to see about the people every one is colorful in their own way, Also why they do it, to me thats the best part. any one can grill or smoke to be honest. but why do the people who compete do this, stay up all hours, drive long hours ect.

Back