First ribs this weekend

El Scorcho

Got Wood.
Okay, I've cooked ribs on a gasser before with moderate success.

After doing a lot of reading I think I'm ready to do some real ribs on my Char-Griller Outlaw. I think I'm going to go to Costco and pick up some spares.

I think I have a good understanding of what to do to control the temp on my CG. I don't have the sfb so the coals will go in the main chamber and I don't have a basket yet. I did add two aftermarket temp gagues after reading how terrible the stock one is on the CG.

I have two different kinds of charcoal. A bag of regular Kingsford and a bag of Royal Oak Lump. Should I just use one or perhaps a mix? The only wood I have right now is some Hickory chunks. Do the wood chunks need to be soaked in water at all or just tossed in the coals?

I've done some searching to find a good basic rub, but there are so many. I have "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", so I might just use that rub recipie unless someone has a suggestion.

My goal is to keep the temp around 250* until done. I don't plan on foiling or saucing (I like sauce on the side).

My Wife and kids are going to be out of town so I'm doing this more as a test so when I do cook some for them, I'll know what to expect.

If you have any tips or links to some threads/sites/vids, feel free. I'm trying to absorb as much as I can at this point. I'm sure no matter what I do, they will still be tasty even if I have submerge them in sauce because even shoe leather can taste good if it's covered in BBQ sauce, lol.

I'd just bank the coals to the side and the ribs on the other side opposite the air intake. Just throw the chunks on the charcoal no soaking is necessary. Lump or briquettes would work. Keep plenty of beer around and relax. I'm sure you'll get some better answers from some CG guys soon. Good luck! I just use commercial rubs btw.

^^^ What Al said ^^^ Plus try to keep it simple the first time. Too many variables can make it hard to track down a problem. Cheers!!!

Ditto on don't bother soaking the wood. It really doesn't soak up anything. If you are cooking multiple racks I'd suggest maybe trying a few different rubs and compare. I always liked messing around when I first started cooking ribs. And still do :). I do foil my ribs, but found it isn't necessary, but maybe something to try later on. Sometimes instead of foiling I will simply put a little brown sugar and honey on the ribs maybe during the 4th hour if I want them sweet. Have fun.

Well, I have the ribs prepped and ready to go for tomorrow. Temps outside and the threat of rain scare me a bit, but I'll do my best.

IMG_20110422_225252.jpg

Here's the rub I'm going to go with:
10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

Last edited:
I've found that the regular charcoal tends to provide a more consistent and long-lasting heat, while the lump burns hotter and cleaner. As a result, I typically use a mix of the two.

If you're looking to produce ribs that don't require sauce, the sugar in your run should produce a very nice crust worthy of stand-alone eating. Just beware of getting the heat too high.

So the cook has begun. Temps are running high though. Damper is completely closed and temp is up to 320. Stock cg thermo reads 250.

Oh, and I thew on a fatty as well. Just straight up with the rub on it.

Good luck El Scorcho.
(PS....DIG that username!:becky:)

Kick back.....sip beers......watch temp and add coals as necessary.
You'll be fine.

You know the bend test, yes?
I like ribs on the smoke/heat for about 4 hours (at 275). If you manage to keep things about 225, it may take longer.

Keep the camera handy.....WE NEED PRON....:thumb:

I think I figured out part of my temp issue. I had a big chunk of hickory burning out of control. I removed it and my temps dropped down to 300* after it spiked to almost 400*!

They do look like that are cooking hot, keep your temps down. How are you measuring the temp at the grate?

That therm is probably not going to be very accurate and, even if it is, the grate temp could be 50F hotter.

I'd definitely slow it down quite a bit.

The CG is a little hard to control due to air leaks. Try to keep the temps down if you can. You have a lot of sugar in that rub and the ribs will burn quickly. If I had to, I would spritz the coals with a little water from a spray bottle.

Looks hot to me too. The right end (closest to the fire) of the racks look like they're getting done quicker. If you've pulled the fatty, you may want to put the racks front to back on the cooker and as far to the left as you can. This well keep them from getting scorched on that end.

Lookin good......keep it comin!:thumb:

If I had to, I would spritz the coals with a little water from a spray bottle.

I wouldn't recommend doing that, you will end up with grey dust from the charcoal all over your meat. If it starts to burn on the ends, you can foil the ends nearest the fire.

Back