• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got my first batch of homemade charcoal going

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had to start the process last night because I had to get the wife to the airport this morning for business trip to NY city. Wanted to get started as soon as I got back this morning. Sorry if pictures ain't good all I have is an I phone. So hear we go, last night I split and filled the 30 gal barrel with pecan. And had that barrel sitting on a bucket raised off the ground.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471436.167476.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471456.968019.jpg

This was to make it easier getting it to sit flush with bottom of 55 gal barrel. Then it was a little tricky but i got the two flipped over.IImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471591.201212.jpg

Then this morning started filling around the the barrels with scraps from splitting and some bark and broken limbs, used leaves and pine needles to fill in voids.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471736.420985.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471760.637948.jpg

Got a small fire going on top and then put on the lid and stack and few blocks to help hold things down.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471831.130267.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471851.231158.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359471868.534502.jpg

Thanks for looking and bareing with me on quality of my posting ability. I will update things as they progress today good or bad. Wish me luck!!

Pix are fine - keep 'em coming! Looking forward to the progrees - I'm jealous! :thumb:

Ok I got things under control now . I think anyway. Wasn't gettin much of a draft so I took handy dandy cutting torch and blew some holes around the top of barrel. It's sounds like a small jet engine now.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359475108.825872.jpg

That is pretty cool!! I wish I had a handy dandy cutting torch for times like that. I bet you didnt even have to stop your burn or take it apart to do that huh.

I ran a 3/4 copperpipe from the lid to the heat source which give you extra heat as the gas burn Look like too much exhaust in my opinion

The fire burned out now. Just waiting on things to cool off. The suspense is killing. I may have farked up. I thought more was going to be better and I think the pine needles and leaves I used to fill in voids may clogged it a little from drafting. Oh well, if it didn't work, it will just be a learning process. Should know shortly.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359489305.665983.jpg

I ran a 3/4 copperpipe from the lid to the heat source which give you extra heat as the gas burn Look like too much exhaust in my opinion

Thanks for advice. This is my first time trying this. If it don't work out I do plan cutting a little off the stack. Do you have any pics of the copper pipe that you want to share?

I see what you did now. Took me a while to figure it out. So you burned off the needles, etc as a way to get the logs to start smoldering also?
Was there a way for the flames, fire to get up under the barrel with the logs and therefore get those to start burning and smoldering also?
I'm curious with the results too.
Cool set up!
Bob

Im going to guess you just have overheated wood inside the barrel.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

As bad as I hate to admit it, looks like Bbq Bubba was right. Just a bunch of farking hot wood. I will not give up, I'm gonna make charcoal dang it. I'm going to make a few changes now and try it again. Right after I clean up my mess. I will investigate and report back. Making changes now!

There's a thread with some youtube vids in QT that show it being made on a bigger scale, but you could adapt your process using the technique in the vid. I kinda thought it wasn't a success based on the time it took by looking at your posting. It takes considerably longer to achieve the results without rushing the process and ending up with ash.

I think what you could do, is do away with the inner barrel and stack it in the larger one. You then need to light it from the bottom.

Word of caution.....at least from what I've seen and read, you are also going to be dealing with LOTS of smoke for a long period of time. This may get you fined where you live.
Secondly, there are issues of gases, pressure, etc to consider. If not done properly, it could be dangerous as well.

I can't find the thread with those vids in it. Maybe someone can link to the thread so you can check em out. Very cool to watch.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the effort. I've watched a few videos about and seen the different ways to do it. The way I'm trying is with the retort part and is supposed to burn off the gasses and burn clean/no smoke. I'm going with the less is more. First time I think I clogged it from making a draft with the leaves and line needles. I've also cut the stack in half. Will try it again after I eat some supper and get done pouting.

Garrett you're on the right track. Keep going. The only smoke you will get is from the big barrel burn. So things like dry grass are not a good idea. Shorter stack is better also. You will find that less burn time will make better lump. :caked:

Back