Treating beef shank like a brisket.

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Checked the search option - and no luck.

Braised beef shanks in the past... decided to throw on a pair of beef shanks (1-1/2" sliced) rubbed with a brisket rub recipe (by Paul Kirk) on the WSM this morning.

Sounded like an idea at the time... will see what happens.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess worst case you could always cook it until it pulled.

Check out Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. There is a recipe for a beef shank on pp 190-192

Reminded me back a while when a topic of discussions mentioned cooking brisket in foil is akin to braising brisket.
Since braised beef shanks is a common approach... and beef shanks are just a tough and loaded with connective tissue - why not cook it like a brisket.

Currently sitting in the 155 degree stall... letting it ride.

20130427_123724_zps86b4e69a.jpg

20130427_123731_zps70132ecf.jpg

20130427_123737_zps0365769c.jpg

Last edited:
That marrow is going to be the nugget of joy. Seems like I would have to bet on it being wonderful.

The beef shank was probe tender after 6 hours... very nice texture and color.

However had two related mistakes on my part.... the rub was applied a little too heavy.
The second was the flavors were a bit stronger because the seasonings didn't mellow out like a brisket which takes me twice as long at 12 hours.

Interesting. I love braising tough cuts of beef on those cold winter days for a nice comforting meal. Short ribs, oxtails etc., haven't done shanks yet though. Good to know there's an option to do it on the smoker as well. Thanks for sharing!

Back