UDS Dome temp 180 can't get temp up or down

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've tried with all the vents wide open , and closed no change!

what could be the issue?

I have @ 9 lbs of Kingfords in there - do I need more ? or less?

hell I haven't even lit the charcoal yet .....

OK the real question IS with 110 degree outside ambient air @ 15% humidity ---
what do I need to consider before firring off the week end cook?
Do I need to add moisture ? a water pan or misters around the patio to get more ?

should I start with very few lit coals so as not to over shoot the temps?
how can I begin to maintain temps when the drum empty and unlit is already at my throttle down set point

proposed cook was / is small 5 lb chuckie for dinner @ 3 hours needed on
a butt over night , and ribs for Sunday and a pair of turkey legs sometime in there for during the week lunches

If your reading the thermometer built into the lid it could be affected by direct sunlight or picking up heat transfered from the metal around it. Try putting a probe of a digital at grate level and see if it reads the same as the dome.

Fire it up as normal. First put cool rag on stem of thermometer and make sure not stuck.

Get a new thermo. Start with a few lit coals and perhaps reduce the load of fuel you have in there. There is no need to add water to a UDS. I find that in warmer weather temps can get up there quickly.

Most of all don't over think it.

110? And I was thinking that I'm miserable with it 90 in the house!! HAHAHAHA, oh well, I guess I'll change my thinking to how cool it is here!

Light it up and try hanging the probe of a remote down to grate level. Might try a deep fryer thermometer too since they have a looong stem on them.

thanks I did the delay ( plan B ) waited until the sun want on the smoker anymore and nearly down then started

ditched the butt ( freezer mod)

iced more beer - dinner will be late

so the outside dry air will not be a problem seems to be the feeling I'm getting from the brethren - thanks everyone

yes I plan on ordering a couple therms from spicewine they look like the best bet in adjustable ones with well defined smoke / grill range zones
does anyone know if they are a mpt and whether i can use a fitting to make them removable?

the candy therm I'm using is still very close - but not the best for the long run

The thermo just goes through a hole and is held in place with one nut only done-up finger tight. Why do you want it removable? Being that the stem is 2 or three inches long adding a fitting would only take you furthrt out of the center.

If you cut(hole saw) a 7/8 hole in sheet metal (drum) you can coax it it screw in and then use conduit nut that comes with it.

I was considering mounting a brass or black pipe fitting * so that the therm would be removable and possibly used on more than one rig - get by mod

mount the bushing with an electricians nut and thread in the therm , also makes for quick accuracy checks

247890_front200.jpg
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/247890_front200.jpg

Hell if you want interchangable and accurate jump your fence and go to Harbor Freight. Get a digital Cen-Tech thermometer like the one Mista uses in this video. (can't locate it on website but they have it.) You can get probes off e-bay pretty cheap. But a dial gauge is nice for when you are across yard you get a quick reference if you "Clock it".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...y+drum+smoker&ei=ExsxSMybMYaIqgP3qeC5CQ&hl=en

I was cooking on my Large Drum at a comp Saturday, using lump in direct sun (93* in the shade!) and on hot pavement and had my pit probe, a lid temp and a meat probe at the grate and I could not get it below 300* with all three vents plugged! I was FREAKING OUT! I was sure my trimmed thighs were going to be a disaster, I was planning on longer cook with more smoke. I wasn't impressed but the Judges must have liked them.

Back