Pizza Pron from my Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Cooker

polishdon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finally got to try out my new Wood Fired Double Kettle Pizza Oven (aka Pac Man) today. The results were outstanding. Once I got it up to temp it held for a good 2 hours with only having to open it once to add another log. I'm not sure what the exact temp was in the oven as my infrared only goes up to 486 and it was beyond that. The first pie I did was a personal size and it took about 2 minutes. The next one was about a 10 inch and it took a little over 4 minutes to cook. Definitely hot enough and fast enough for my liking, and considering the entire fuel source was wood I am very happy. I need to just work on getting the cooking stones more even as they aren't nice and flat. Other than that, there's not much I'd change other than the position I cook the pies in the oven to avoid over cooking the edges. Also need to work on my dough as this one was a little heavier than I wanted. Here's some pron:

Getting the fire ready, I used elm as the main heat source and added some cherry to the mix and cherry directly on the cooking rack:
IMG00085.jpg

The top of Pac Man in place,I put some fire brick in front of the opening while getting the interior hot. Took about 35 minutes after I put the top on to get a reading of 486+ on the cooking stones.
IMG00088.jpg

The personal size off and cooking
IMG00090.jpg

Done, got great crisp on the top of the pie
IMG00091.jpg

THe bottom. Obviously I have to learn the hot spots on the stones, but hey, it was the first one.
IMG00094.jpg

Second pie, pesto\red pepper on one side, basil\tomato on the other.
IMG00098.jpg

And the bottom, gettin better already
IMG00099.jpg

ALso did some wings on the kettle off set with cherry wood. Smoked them about 2 hours then glazed them with BBQ sauce and crisped them up direct. UNfortunately in my haste to eat them I didnt get a finished pic.
IMG00087.jpg

More pizzas were made but my camera work faded.

Alright, it's official. My next project is to make a Weber pizza oven.

Great lookin pies!

Alright, it's official. My next project is to make a Weber pizza oven.

Great lookin pies!

For the ease of making this one I was really happy with how it worked. About an hour after I had removed the top from the fire kettle the lower stones were still 240 and the upper stone was 170.

Wow, looks like it turned out really well, esp for a first time cook!

For the ease of making this one I was really happy with how it worked. About an hour after I had removed the top from the fire kettle the lower stones were still 240 and the upper stone was 170.

Do you have any links to any instructions or build threads for this?

Very nice. Glad it all worked out well. I've got mine started and am to the point of cutting the opening. I was gonna make it smaller but after seeing your results I may change my plans.

Very nice. Glad it all worked out well. I've got mine started and am to the point of cutting the opening. I was gonna make it smaller but after seeing your results I may change my plans.

The large opening was not an issue as far as keeping it hot enough, in between pies I would just put the 2 bricks in front back in place. After I cooked the pizzas I put a full aluminum pan of peach cobbler in the oven to reheat it. Worked like a charm, was nice to have the big opening to do that kind of stuff.

Really like the way it crisp the crust..
Looks like the hardware add-on does the job of keeping the top on the bottom. Nice build!

Back