Trim your meats prior to comp day ?

If so, how do you package for transport ? Thanks again.
As a matter of fact I'm trimming right now! Pork, brisket, and ribs are done....I do chicken last because I HATE the chicken! :mmph:

I vac them down with a food saver for transport.

Dave

Always. It's so much more manageable in a clean, controlled environment than in dirty, windy, awkward-table-height field conditions!

We package in Foodsaver vacuum bags, but that's likely overkill. Double freezer ziplocs would probably get you by too.

It frees up a lot of time and anxiety at the contest site. Mind you, we didn't always do trimming beforehand -- there were PLENTY of contests over a couple of years where we just had to do it at the contest, due to time constraints during the week before -- but it sure makes life easier when you can get it done.

I food saver whatever will fit, usually just chicken and ribs, and plastic wrap the butts and brisket.

Wrap the chit out of it and put it in a bag to contain leaks if one happens to occur.

What Uncle Bud said, trim then food saver them. Makes time at the comp much more enjoyable.

Did I mention I HATE the chicken! I should be trimming them right now...but instead I'm surfing the forums.

I'll pay $100 to anyone willing to come over and scrape my chick skin! :grin:

I trim all meats before hand and keep brisket in a XL Ziplock Storage bag, butts in 2 Gal hefty freezer bags, ribs in the Hefty 2gal bags I can fit 3 trimmed racks flat in those bags, and chicken I trim and put back in the styrofoam trays they come in and cover the tops and then into the 2 gal Hefty bags.

I vac seal chicken, ribs and brisket. Pork goes in a XL ziploc bag... sometimes double bagged to be sure...

probably overkill... ziploc bags would be fine.

I trim everything at home as well. Gallon and 2 gallon zip lock bags always work for me. The only thing I may leave for at the competition are the butts. They take the least time and I've trimmed and injected a few times there. But now that it is getting hot as heck I won't even leave those untrimmed prior.

I trimmed and Vac Sealed Butts, Briskets and Ribs last night while watching the Basketball Game. Thanks to Scottie Its a Tuesday or Wednesday Night Ritual on Comp week. Which this month is four in a row!

Wife does Chicken and Parsley....I love her more now!:icon_smile_tongue:

You people that are vac-sealing the briskets with a foodsaver ..how do you get something that big in a foodsaver bag? I would love to vac the briskets and butts but can't find any way to do it with a foodsaver. We used to sell the Weston units that were much larger but they sucked ..well they didn't suck ...

You people that are vac-sealing the briskets with a foodsaver ..how do you get something that big in a foodsaver bag? I would love to vac the briskets and butts but can't find any way to do it with a foodsaver. We used to sell the Weston units that were much larger but they sucked ..well they didn't suck ...
I buy the rolls and make a BIG bag. Separate the point from the flat and jam them into 2 bags.

When I put them on the smoker I super glue the point back on.

When I put them on the smoker I super glue the point back on.

:laugh:

I buy those 2.5 gallon bags, they are at walmart sometimes, but the grocery store always has them ($5 for a dozen), trimmed packers always fit in those

Did I mention I HATE the chicken! I should be trimming them right now...but instead I'm surfing the forums.

I'll pay $100 to anyone willing to come over and scrape my chick skin! :grin:

Hey hey hey! This is a family friendly forum!:tongue:

I have a cabelas CG15 and use the 11 inch bags... after trimming and separating flat and point they fit in those bags... Butts don't fit though... I use ziplocs for those

Yep, trim and vac seal everything in the CG-15, Cabeles sells a 15 inch bag...

Back