• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got a Stoker.

Good point.........gives me more control and additional temp if needed.

Thanks for the detailed response to my questions and concerns. I've been cooking at 250°, so not hot and fast, but not low and slow, either. I want to try 270° or so.

Do you think there would be any issues with burning clean at 250° when using a Stoker or Guru? Basically, how low do you think you can go before having issues?

Thanks,

Well first, 270 is not the end all of temps. It just works best for my technique and rub. Each is dependent of one another. I like crispy real bark, and juicy tender meat inside with great penetration of flavor.

The stoker will do fine on your gear as long as you don't load it incorrectly. This rule is just like NOT using the stoker. Its about timing and the size and condition of your fuel when you load it.

There are guys that use it and dial in 225 and it is fine. Smaller fire. No need to obsess about white smoke with the stoker. It will NOT get around fire management laWS. However, it can bend them a bit.

'Funk,

Any chance you can post some pics of the pipe in the firebox so I can see how it looks? I'm not sure how you mean its shaped like a hockey stick?

Thanks!

Of course, I have seen every minute of every video you have produced that mentions the word Stoker. Also read about the yahoos who talk about choking the fire and creosoting your food...

One of the brilliant things about the Stoker to me is that it is totally platform independent. Stoker doesn't care if you are Mac, PC, or Linux. With built-in twitter support, it can even present enough of a log that I can roll over in bed at night and call up my Twitter page to see if my 165 degree butts are just entering, well into, or should be finishing the stall.

My problem is that I can't get Twitter running properly yet. StokerLog is dependent on PC, and I am all set up on Mac. However, I have pulled out my old XP Ppc, and am in the process of loading all the upgrades and stuff so that I can fire up StokerLog.

In the end, I'm hoping John gets the Twitter thing figured out.

Mark

You could always run Parallels on your Mac. This gives you the ability to run Windows Xp on your Mac. I have been doing that for 3 years on a 17" MacBookPro. Runs great. Seemless between MacOS and WindowsXP.

here it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks 'Funk! Another question and maybe I missed it in your explanation earlier by why do you have the pipe and airflow blowing away from the entrance to the cooking chamber? Is that to keep ash from getting in to the chamber and on the food?

Thanks 'Funk! Another question and maybe I missed it in your explanation earlier by why do you have the pipe and airflow blowing away from the entrance to the cooking chamber? Is that to keep ash from getting in to the chamber and on the food?

First was, hot pipes in the front.. i can see me breakin one when I throw a log on.

Second was, you don't want to blow your fire in the firebox AND send it too quickly down the shute.

Third, a Pipe coming in any other way and of front before going up would be a pan in the ash.

forth because some yahoo build this crappy oversized firebox they cut out the grid that kept logs from rolling into the chamber. This helps a bit

You could always run Parallels on your Mac. This gives you the ability to run Windows Xp on your Mac. I have been doing that for 3 years on a 17" MacBookPro. Runs great. Seemless between MacOS and WindowsXP.

I got Parallels when I bought my Mac a few years ago. It quite working a year later, and I just stopped trying to use it. But you inspired me to check for updates to my version of Parallels today, which I found, downloaded, and hey! it works again!

So I got back into XP on my Mac and downloaded Stokerlog. I had seen graphs of other people's cooks, but was not prepared for how much I would like using it on my own cook. Also, the Twitter support worked right-away. I guess it is irresistibly neat for any Stoker owner, and I can see how it will help me to learn to improve my cooks with it. One thing I discovered already is that when I open the Egg, I get a temp spike that takes quite a while to dissipate. I even turn the Stoker off before raising the lid, and turn the Stoker back on once the lid is back down, and this is what leads to the spike (a cook at 250 degrees takes the Egg up to 262-265 after opening/closing the lid).

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

Mark

Is there any place that provides a discount on the Stoker (Brethren discount, or other)?

Looking for a good setup for my Primo Oval XL.

Thanks,

Ted

Our team has been using a Stoker for the last 2 years and we love it. We use one Stoker to control all four of our WSMs and it works like a charm.

The only place I know of to buy a Stoker is from the builder - Rock's Barbque.

Mark

Heard that Stocker was a good machine. I just ran a maiden voyage on my new Guru CyberQ II. Nice run for sure. Love the Ramp Mode. Everyone do your homework!:-D

I noticed Lee Ann has one......:icon_wink:cool:

Hi Tom - I'm glad to hear that your CyberQII is in full-swing! I also caught that quick view of the Guru, although I thought she had it sitting next to a pellet-cooker. It's hard to keep track of all those different pits.

Mark

We purchased a Stoker half-way through this season and I absolutely love it! We use it to run all four of our WSMs at the same time, and it performs almost flawlessly for over 18 hours at a contest. I find that especially with the low and slow cooks (<50 degrees) it will keep temps within +/- 10 degrees for 95 percent of the cook.

It is also user-friendly. I pulled this thing straight out of the packaging at a contest in Waterloo, IA this summer. Within one hour I had it all set-up and it was cooking our overnight meats. We won RGC at that contest the next day, and won GC the day after that using it in LaPorte City.

I now have it set-up so I can control it from my iPhone and/or my laptop. The iPhone is great so that way when I wake up in the middle of the night worried about how my cookers are doing, all I have to do is grab my phone that is right next to me and I can monitor and control the temps from it.

So anything with a browser will work for remote monitoring once connected, like my blackberry storm 2?

I am ordering a stoker today or tomorrow...I am not real fond of the CS issues, but I want to be able to control the unit over a computer, and currently, the only (easy) choice is the stoker..the cyberq does not seem to work too well over a wireless network from what I gather

So anything with a browser will work for remote monitoring once connected, like my blackberry storm 2?

Exactly. Any web enabled device. You set the I.P. address on the Stoker and you simply enter the I.P. address in the address bar of your browser. Of course the Stoker must first be connected to a network.:wink:

FANTASTIC device!

Last edited:
I ordered my Stoker on 1/24 and they're on back order. I talked with the store today and they are hoping to ship by middle of next week. I'm bummed and can't wait to fire it up!

Exactly. Any web enabled device. You set the I.P. address on the Stoker and you simply enter the I.P. address in the address bar of your browser. Of course the Stoker must first be connected to a network.:wink:

FANTASTIC device!

This would only be the case if the stoker and the phone are on the same network. If you leave the house and want to monitor your temps wouldn't you have to open up a port on your router?

If your external IP address (not the Stoker IP address) is 123.456.78.9 and you open port 8080, then will entering 123.456.78.9:8080 into your phone's browser work?

Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?

Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?

musicmanryann commented that he is using it to control 4 wsm's so i can't imagine it would be much different for UDS's.

Back