IBCA Turn In Boxes Pics wanted

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looking for pics of turn in boxes for IBCA comps. Need something to compare to.

Thanks

Thom, you might know the answer to this: Why does the IBCA Head Judge open the box upon turn in? Isn't it the team's responsibility to turn in the proper food in the proper alignment and in the proper quantity? It seems rather "T-Ball" to me that the Head Judge checks and gives the team a chance to correct any mistakes. Is there a reason behind the action?

My opinion is that the head judge is opening the box to make sure it is a legal presentation. He may be checking to make sure there is no garnish or sauce puddling, maybe the thickness of the slices of brisket. IDK but maybe.

I understand that they check the boxes, advise the cook of any errors and give them a chance to fix them, time permitting. My question is why? If a cook can't get his turn in done correctly then it is his/her own fault. Why give them a chance to get it right if they screw it up? Like I said, it just seems very "T-Ball" to me. I just wonder if there is some logic behind the practice that I'm not aware of.

Ask and you shall receive...

laquinta_66.jpg

laquinta_69.jpg

PalmDesert08041.jpg

PalmDesert08042.jpg

PalmDesert08043.jpg

Wishland029.jpg

Hope those help!

I understand that they check the boxes, advise the cook of any errors and give them a chance to fix them, time permitting. My question is why? If a cook can't get his turn in done correctly then it is his/her own fault. Why give them a chance to get it right if they screw it up? Like I said, it just seems very "T-Ball" to me. I just wonder if there is some logic behind the practice that I'm not aware of.

Vince with no read out a guy could get DQed and not even know it
With so much care to see boxes go through "unmarked" It is nesasary
I have sent boxes back with the wrong meat, slices siting the wrong way.

With the new language in the rules The turn ins should be better

I'm no expert on IBCA boxes, but I don't think that pork and bottom brisket box would fly around here. It looks like it has been sauce and glazed after it was removed from the cooker which is DQ. I know the rules are a little more relaxed in California.

What's a DQ? I dunk all my turn-ins in sauce and meat juices, i.e. after leaving smoker. How about glazing ribs and chicken? Curious on assoc. you refer to. Bigmista, how did those boxes score? Steve.

ribs 3rd
1st brisket pic - 2nd
Pork - 3rd
2nd brisket pic - 1st
chicken - 6th

Both Pork and Brisket went back in the smoker after sauce.

Rule was it had to be "tacky" to the touch. Now rule changed to no sauce at all on the brisket. Pork can be sauced as long as it isn't dripping in it.

I'm no expert on IBCA boxes, but I don't think that pork and bottom brisket box would fly around here. It looks like it has been sauce and glazed after it was removed from the cooker which is DQ. I know the rules are a little more relaxed in California.

The rules have been more clearly defined
The wording "cooked on" are no where in them
No Pooling is the standard
No added sauce after the cooking is complete

We had been putting meat back in the "cook on"
the sauce The new rules are MUCH more clear

http://www.ibcabbq.org/topbar/rul.html

Thom, would you more clearly define what is meant by "when cooking is complete"?

That seems wide open to interpretation and I could decide that cooking isn't complete until I put the meat into the box. Are the modified rules trying keep cooks from saucing pork and brisket slices, putting the meat back onto the pit to glaze it over and then box for turn in?

The rules wording is not mine
I favored a different set
But the BoD voted ..........
Yes the ol put back is gone
Pooling of sauce is the primary concern
No saucing on the cutting board

Thanks, and also thanks for the reasoning on why the boxes are checked. I can see how a DQ could happen and a team not know why under the IBCA scoring system. That was the kind of explanation I was looking for.

The Head Judge of your event is who you need to work with
Saucing slices and putting them back on the smoker
could lead to problems for you

Thom,

Can you pull your pork, sauce it and put it back in your smoker?

Back