New FEC-100 on the way

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ordered a new FEC-100 yesterday through www.kck.com. Estimated a 10 day turn around. :eek: Wow!!

It will be built "reversed" meaning that the hopper and outlet will be on opposite sides of how the cooker normally is built. Outlet will be on left and hopper on the right. I wanted a reversed cooker to sit on the left side of my trailer deck next to my existing FEC-100. The new cooker will be a mirror of the existing one. The new cooker will have the IQ4 controller.

First contest with the two cookers will be the GAB Invitational. Can't wait.

Very nice Todd!

I have smoker envy now. At least it helps balance out my trailer envy.:grin:

Very nice Todd!

I have smoker envy now. At least it helps balance out my trailer envy.:grin:

Hey, Paul. Been thinking of our discussions last weekend about minimizing your operation. We used to be one of those many teams that brought everything AND a grill. After attending a couple of classes from the Big Guys last year, we saw that they were about minimal set up and minimal operations. Last year, we reduced our gear and the amount of crap we thought we had to have for a contest down to less than half. We cooked Laurie, MO last year with a 4' table and the tailgate of my truck. We placed 8th out of 80+. The less chit you have to manage, the more attention you can pay to your food and process.

My first observation is that your tent is huge. More space, means more space to fill. Even if you don't change out your tent, see if you could fit in a 10x10 space with all your gear. If you only had 10x10, what would you REALLY need? Leave the rest at home.

Comps have been a lot more enjoyable after we stopped bringing the world with us. Even with the trailer, I still don't use a lot of stuff when I cook. The more I use, the more I have to clean. I use hotel pans and full/half cookie sheets lined with foil, so I don't have to buy and bring a lot of aluminum pans. Last year, I didn't use aluminum pans for most of my comps. I stored my gear in two cambros: foil, knives, gloves, rub, sauce, pans, paper towels, bottle of cleaner, etc. For a comps last year, I needed my cambros, a cooler for meat, a cooler for drinks, a small cooler for garnish, a tent, a table, a chair, banners, and a cooker. That was it.

Last edited:
You're right, Todd. The Slabs had all kindsa crap, now, not as much. Everything we needed last weekend fit in my Durango, coolers, gear, etc., with the exception of the tables which Woodbrothers loaned us.

You're right, Todd. The Slabs had all kindsa crap, now, not as much. Everything we needed last weekend fit in my Durango, coolers, gear, etc., with the exception of the tables which Woodbrothers loaned us.

I thought you were theSlabs.com and Kyle was The Slabs? :wink:

Just messin' wit cha!

I can't keep track either. THen they will throw in the Slabs of Approval to really get me confused... i need a program.... :cool:

Hey, Paul. Been thinking of our discussions last weekend about minimizing your operation. We used to be one of those many teams that brought everything AND a grill. After attending a couple of classes from the Big Guys last year, we saw that they were about minimal set up and minimal operations. Last year, we reduced our gear and the amount of crap we thought we had to have for a contest down to less than half. We cooked Laurie, MO last year with a 4' table and the tailgate of my truck. We placed 8th out of 80+. The less chit you have to manage, the more attention you can pay to your food and process.

My first observation is that your tent is huge. More space, means more space to fill. Even if you don't change out your tent, see if you could fit in a 10x10 space with all your gear. If you only had 10x10, what would you REALLY need? Leave the rest at home.

Comps have been a lot more enjoyable after we stopped bringing the world with us. Even with the trailer, I still don't use a lot of stuff when I cook. The more I use, the more I have to clean. I use hotel pans and full/half cookie sheets lined with foil, so I don't have to buy and bring a lot of aluminum pans. Last year, I didn't use aluminum pans for most of my comps. I stored my gear in two cambros: foil, knives, gloves, rub, sauce, pans, paper towels, bottle of cleaner, etc. For a comps last year, I needed my cambros, a cooler for meat, a cooler for drinks, a small cooler for garnish, a tent, a table, a chair, banners, and a cooker. That was it.

I believe you are right. We spend hours preparing for, loading, setting up, tearing down, and unloading that could be better spent doing something else. We have 3 contests left before our summer break and I think I'll concentrate on becoming a minimalist...but I'm not giving up the hot water heater. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, Paul. Been thinking of our discussions last weekend about minimizing your operation. We used to be one of those many teams that brought everything AND a grill.

First congratulations Secondly you are SO right I used to bring so much crap I was tired before I even started not now:-D and my expense's have dropped down a lot:mrgreen:

Congrats Todd, I would like to swing by at the GAB and take a look at your set up if you will have me.

The Eagle has landed. Being uncrated right now. Probably getting it mounted to the trailer tomorrow night. We'll see.

Back