• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Not getting enough flavor in brisket

Yeah I don't get it either, Tim. Since when is FAB B any more of a "chemical" than salt?

The_Kapn said:
Interesting concept.
Maybe we should ban all spices, rubs, marinates, brines, flavor woods, and meat graded higher than Select.
One wood for the fire and plain meat.
May the best team win.

Purist?

TIM

I did not say to go that far, im talking about staying with natural ingredients. maybe i can wow the judges and put cocaine in my rub

I agree with Chris (IQue) - marinate when you rest your brisket or marinade when you wrap it and finish cooking. Really gets the flavor of the marinade into the meat.

We have always scored worse with Fab B but it was probably just the table we landed on.

That was to funny and you just do what ever you need to do (in the rules) to get your number called....

Or you could ask your butcher for more beefer tasting
brisket.. That's what lunchmeat did.

Sully

We inject, but not with Fab B. We tried the light version, and preferred our other injection, which is coffee and pineapple juice based. We are doing ok with it, and I think the flavor is really good. The Fab B was just too much to me.

cmcadams said:
We inject, but not with Fab B. We tried the light version, and preferred our other injection, which is coffee and pineapple juice based. We are doing ok with it, and I think the flavor is really good. The Fab B was just too much to me.
I personally dont like the flavor of it either but the judges seem to like it so we use it...

I think I need to play around more with the Fab B to get used to it. It's just tough to have 2 briskets side by side and clearly prefer one over the other, but turn in the one I don't like as well.

cmcadams said:
I think I need to play around more with the Fab B to get used to it. It's just tough to have 2 briskets side by side and clearly prefer one over the other, but turn in the one I don't like as well.
I know what you mean..
but on the other hand I never cook bbq at home the way I do at a comp

Bill, I agree... But when I have 2 things side by side, I think there's a difference between saying I do this for comp and that for home vs. saying I think this one is not as good. One is different by equal, the other is different and not equal.

I don't add as much sweet to my ribs at home, but I still think my ribs are pretty good for comps. I just happen to think Fab B vs. my other injection isn't as good. I think what I'll try next weekend is one brisket with about 1/4 the Fab B Lite I would expect to use and see how that goes.

cmcadams said:
Bill, I agree... But when I have 2 things side by side, I think there's a difference between saying I do this for comp and that for home vs. saying I think this one is not as good. One is different by equal, the other is different and not equal.

I don't add as much sweet to my ribs at home, but I still think my ribs are pretty good for comps. I just happen to think Fab B vs. my other injection isn't as good. I think what I'll try next weekend is one brisket with about 1/4 the Fab B Lite I would expect to use and see how that goes.

Since it's not obvious from the above discussions...we use Fab-B and P mixed into our normal injection...we do not use FAB by itself.

cmcadams said:

understood..heck we have taken a first in brisket just with rub ..i should have said we get more consistent scores with fab b
plenty of teams winning without it..

Nitrofly said:
Or you could ask your butcher for more beefer tasting
brisket.. That's what lunchmeat did.

Sully

Sully is giving out Lunchmeat secrets! (gets out notebook)

How about a chicken tip? :icon_wink

ique said:

Chicken tipping? Doesn't seem to have the impact of cow tipping but...

secrets lunchmeat has secrets??

Hey Chris

I wish we knew what you guys know..
we are humbled next to Ique, you guys kick our
ass' on a regular basis. Maybe you will share some of
Ique secrets?? Congrates on your showing at the Royal.
Ique kicks butt...Again.. Good luck at the Jack. show them
southerners New Englanders can cook some kick ass BBQ..

Sully

P.S. secret mayo is better then miracle whip on brisket...
shhh don't tell anyone..

ique said:

Back