UDS Lid?

kmenard

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Just picked up a Weber 22.5 grill...tried to put the lid on my UDS...no dice. The lid is too small.

Take some 1/8" x 1 1/2" angle an attach to the inside of the drum to make the lid fit.

I use the flat lid but will be welding my dome lid to the rim of a lid soon.

It depends on the barrel. Mine was a closed head drum that the weber lid fit on perfectly.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it there are a few fixes you can find on the site:
1. You can modify the barrel lip to fit the lid--add a small strip of steel to the inside of the barrel that extends above the barrel lid an inch or so.
2. You can modify the lid lip to fit the barrel, bend the lip of the lid out and reform it to fit the barrel
3. Use the bowl of the Weber--cut roughly 2 inches off the top of the Weber bowl and set in inside of your barrel to be used in place of option 1 above.

All 3 of these options have been done by several different people here on the forums. Do a quick search and see what you come up with.

Closed top drums have a much better chance of a dome top fitting IME :)

You can grind down the outside edge of the rim til it fits also, I did that. I wouldn't mess with the lid.
Saying that, I'm gonna use some flat stock and extended the barrel on my next one or this, use the bowl of the Weber, cut roughly 2 inches off the top of the Weber bowl and set in inside of your barrel. I have a bowl waiting for this option!!
I'm guessing you cut the top off the drum already, if you didn't try it on the bottom.

Here is what it looks like with some flat stock added to the inside of the drum. 22.5 inch kettle lids fit good with it added.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 137
Rolled out steel. Can pick up at lowes etc. For comparison threaded bar stock is basically a really long stud that you cut to length.

2010_1008_UDS_0005.jpg

Here is what it looks like with some flat stock added to the inside of the drum. 22.5 inch kettle lids fit good with it added.

+1 on the flat stock...I also had the same issue and asked about it here. These guys gave me several options and I went with the flat stock, added it just yesterday! Thanks again guys....

My two UDS lids were beat up old weber 22.5 lids. I found one on the highway (I work in public works) and another I bought at a flea market for a couple of bucks. Both of mine I reworked the edge of the lid to match my barrel. They were both beat up lids anyway so I figured why not. It worked for me.

Back