I like big butts and I cannot lie (PRON)

Jukas

Reaction score
Did a pair of 9.5lb butts on the BGE rubbed up and done with a modified Chris Lilly injection. They were done with a mix of Lazzari mesquite and bge lump with a couple chunks each of pecan, apple and cherry

vD6Ie7u.jpg

These went on at midnight and came off after 15hrs on the bge

ne665S9.jpg

Each butt got double foil wrapped and then towel wrapped and hung out in the cooler for a couple hours. Since I still had a couple hours I threw a can of bush's beans in a pot, added about half a can of SNPA and threw 2 more chunks of apple on the coals and left the beans on there for 2hrs at 250F (the probe was washed between the butt and the beans).

VJxgQqO.jpg

After almost 3 hours in the cooler the butts were unwrapped and pulled for dinner.

Wmbk78y.jpg

35Q1vuh.jpg

I ran into an interesting thing, I kept doing the wiggle test and the bones wouldn't wiggle. Eventually I pulled the butts where every part of them I checked registered 210. They pulled easily after being unwrapped, and came free of the bones without any umph.

I also discovered I don't really care for mesquite lump.. I tried it as an alternative as BGE lump is $38 per 20lb bag. Even in a 50/50 mix the mesquite was too pronounced for my preference.

All in all it was a good cook and I ended up with four lbs to freeze and another lb for immediate leftovers.

I posted with the same wiggle fail a couple of months ago. The wiggle test is unreliable. Stick with the probes like butter thing. That platter looks great.

Try some Royal Oak lump from a local retailer.Royal Oak bags lump charcoal for BGE.Same quality fuel,much less input cost.

Mesquite can be a bit strong for pork I like wicked good with cherry and apple wood food looks great

Yup.....I like your big butts too. :tape:

Just sayin....:wink:

Good looking grub!

As for the bone wiggle:tape: test, I have only been successful with it if I wrap in foil durring the cook. I wonder if the meat releases from the bone more so while wrapped.

Back