Untrimmed spares rule....

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well....very minimally trimmed rule. Did these 2 racks (and one beef short rib) for some friends. They specifically asked that they not be trimmed, and I gotta say that's my favorite way to do them. Smoked at 275-300 with oak and basic homemade rub. Guys went nuts for them.....

Anyone else prefer untrimmed?

Last edited:
Why exactly? Just more meat to enjoy? Is there some other reason you prefer untrimmed?

I do know my freezer has accumulated plenty of rib tips!:roll:

Why exactly? Just more meat to enjoy? Is there some other reason you prefer untrimmed?

I do know my freezer has accumulated plenty of rib tips!:roll:

Wamp,

We like them better than trimmed as we think the Rib Tip portions cook better on the rack than off......nothing beat sucking on them Rib Tips! :icon_blush: :becky:

I have done them both way never could tell bunch difference, only thing the trim fits your smoker better, also try making burnt end out of those tips very good
Also rib tip samwitch is mighty good

Looks good!:thumb: I prefer trimmed so I don't have to deal with the knuckles, but I would never turn down some good untrimmed ribs either.

Did a couple spares yesterday. Right out of the cryovac package, on to the smoker and then dusted; straight up. Once they were done then I trimmed them up St. Louis style. Works just fine. Cheers!!!

When you cook them untrimmed how do you serve them? cut the tips off first then cut the ribs?

I thought the main reason to trim was the cooking time. Don't the St Louis sections take more time to cook?

I haven't cooked one not trimmed in a long time. Just works out better sizewise I guess.

I buy them untrimmed and I only trim for comp practice and to take up less room in the smoker. I usually cook the rib tips too and do them like burnt brisket ends.

Back