• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Purist Pit BBQ Challenge...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I thought I would start some discussion over here about the possibility of a Purist Pit BBQ Challenge so as not to hijack the KCBS gas thread...:becky: It would be cool to find someone with a lot of land (and a backhoe...lol!) to dig several 2x2x4 foot pits in the ground then let the Pit Masters have at it...ideas?

BBQcoloPITw.jpg

Wouldn’t need a lot of land

Just about a 30x250 ft swath divided into 20 10x30 ft wide areas with a little space between each.

It could be done at an existing contest if you got the permit and permission for it.

Cemetery's don't have back hoes onsite. There is a grave digger that goes around and digs.

That'd be a lot of fun, but I'd probably be the first drunk a-hole to try and jump over the pit...unsuccessfully.

It shouldn't be too hard to find an out of business golf course...

Last edited:
Cemetery's don't have back hoes onsite. There is a grave digger that goes around and digs.

The cemetary where I dug graves had one on site. The two next to us (we were in the cemetary part of town) also had them on-site, and we all had mutual aid agreements. I guess it depends on the cemetary. Traveling grave digger for hire sounds like a fun gig to me!

dmp

^^^ LOVE "mystery wood". I purchased a cord of "hickory" and as best I can tell there's not 1 piece of hickory in the bunch. LOTS of mystery wood though!!!!

I don't think they had back hoes the first time BBQ was made, so not really pure after all....before anyone gets mad, I'm obviously joking, I use a pellet pooper.

You could even grow all the ingredients for the rubs and sauces...heck let raise and slaughter the animals too!!! Ha ha ha:-D:heh:

Just joking, sounds like it would be a cool event. Unless you get a big rain storm.

If we are going this far…

Everyone is given an identical pit, maybe 2ft deep x 3ft wide x 5ft long

2 cinderblocks of masonry above pit. with diamond grate

Farmer John brings 30 hogs into a pen…and greases them with petroleum jelly

The teams participating put their names in a hat and get to go 1 by 1 catching their own pig.

You then turn it over to an FDA certified butcher (on site with processing trailer)

Repeat process for chickens.

Beef we can forgive, that’s just too much work.

Make your own sauce and rub…heck even have a small judging contest for those while your pig is being butchered :thumb:

That'd be a lot of fun, but I'd probably be the first drunk a-hole to try and jump over the pit...unsuccessfully.

See...even the purest of pits can be hazardous...:twisted:

Hmmm. We have an unused space of gravel backyard, can easily procure cinderblocks, and have a crapload of mystery wood that the gardener "sorted" for us. We could practice. :becky:

You have a "gardener"...? :cool:

I don't think they had back hoes the first time BBQ was made, so not really pure after all....before anyone gets mad, I'm obviously joking, I use a pellet pooper.

Well...I damn sure ain't diggin' one...lol! :twisted:

I thnk it would be interesting and fun to see a lot of competition cooks working on an open pit, managing a fire dealing with the issues surrounding cooking like that. It would be a very humbling experience and really teach folks that a Klose or Lang is a huge technological advantage over a open pit BBQ.

Back