Overnighter: My First Whole Shoulder

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a 20 pounder this evening and began the process of scratching a biggie off of my BBQ Bucket List.

uploadfromtaptalk1309411903313.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1309411936225.jpg

Gave it a rinse, patted dry, and put a rub on it. I am sort of going for a N.C. style here, but even though I have been told that they don't typically use a rub and usually just toss it on the pit nekkid I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I won't be able to regularly mop it so I figured I better make certain there will be flavor in the bark.

uploadfromtaptalk1309412193514.jpg

On the drum running at 225* I'll see this hunk of pig in the morning!

uploadfromtaptalk1309412219344.jpg

how do you refuel ?do you just put a lot of wood in it?and let it burn overnight?doesnt the coal get cold?

Hello, fellow night owl. I'm doing my first overnight shoulder tonight as well. Should be in bed, but I can't sleep. :D

That is one big honkin piece of pig. Good luck, can't wait to see the and hear how it goes.

how do you refuel ?do you just put a lot of wood in it?and let it burn overnight?doesnt the coal get cold?

I'm using an 18 lb bag of briquettes. I have Hickory chips mixed throughout. I'm using the "Minion Method" if you don't know what that is just do a quick search on it and everything should become clear.

Ok everybody here we go got busy this morning and since the drum was steadily doing its thing at 225* I let it roll all the way to 9:00 before checking the IT and taking pics.

143* internal in the Butt end and 139* in the Picnic end.

uploadfromtaptalk1309445693860.jpg

Let us know when it's time to come over! :hungry:

How long has it been on?? It looks awesome right now. You might have to pull a little piece off to make sure its ok... :)

At 225 you're going to be a while waiting for it to get "unstuck". Patience grasshopper!!

Back