First comp with my sons this weekend

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I began BBQing when I found out my wife was pregnant (about 8 years ago). Something inside me wanted to be able to hand a real skill down to my children so I did my best to learn a real skill - smoking meat. We lost that child - but we were fortunate enough to have another a year later (we now have three boys).

I have always promised them that I would take them with me on competitions "someday" - well, today is the day. We are going to be at a non-sanctioned contest in Clinton. I figure there is nothing to lose because the entry fees are so low. I just hope I won't be too uptight.

Mark is gracious enough to help out (He hangs around here under the name Oly - but he never posts!).

I don't know exactly why I am posting this - but I am as proud as can be today and I just hope everything turns out for the best. If any of you have any advice send it my way. Prayers for me to be a good father and let them have their own experience without my interfering with them too much would be appreciated as well!!!

So, here we go - team Monty's Little Monsters is finally hitting the circuit. Lock up your daughters!!! (And I mean that literally - lock 'em up - these boys are freaking crazy!!!)

Last edited:
Good luck Nate!! I know how much this means to ya...just have fun and the rest will fall into place!

Glad to hear it monty, I was supposed to have my daughter with me for our first comp, but she got picked for a baseball tournament team.

Im proud, but now i miss having her with me and i miss her playing, not exactly the way i hoped it would go.

best of luck, and enjoy, sounds like the makings of a wonderful day!

Great way to start the boys off. A non-sanctioned contest where (hopefully) you wont have to stress so much. Let the boys in there and get their hands "dirty" - bet they'd have a blast with the injectors :becky: (bring extra). Best of all have a great time. These kids tend to grown up WAY quicker than you want them to, so enjoy it. And I'll keep my daughter over here in Delaware and away from Iowa :-D.

You'll do great, Monty!

they should have fun..let them do their thing
like you say ..nothing to lose and a lot to gain..quality time with the kids and hey the prize money aint that bad considering the entry fee.
see you there!
This will be a nice warmup for me to get out and try some different things before Westmont..although after dragging all my stuff out of the shed im remembering yet again why I only do a couple a year :)

That is awesome Monty!

I hope to be in your shoes one day. Just remember to relax and have fun.

That's what it's all about.
I started Q'in a couple of years ago when my son was in high school thinking this is something we could do together. We learned a lot together and have have had a lot of fun in the process. I finally got around to my first comp ever this spring, but unfortunately, he is 5 hours away at college now. Was hoping that we could do some comps together this summer, but it now looks like he has a job where he's going to school, so be probably won't be home this summer.
Best of luck to you and your boys Monty!

Remember. KISS...

Good luck Nate. remember for you and the boys to have fun. trophies and ribbons are only cherries on the cake. So don't judge your weekend just on those material things.

Sounds like an awesome experience.
Enjoy it for that alone, in the end the trophies tarnish and crack, the ribbons fade and unravel, but the memories remain.
Be proud, a lot of parents wouldn't care as much as you do. :thumb:

Good luck! Be sure to take pictures and post when you get back.

My oldest daughter cooked with our team for several years, and we would go do a competition together once a year near her college when she was a student. Great times at any age. Good luck, and give each of them a job so they feel like part of the team.

Brett

Go Little Monsters!
headbang.gif
I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of them at the contest!

Nate, that is great and. I am so excited for you and your boys.
I wish I had the opportunity to BBQ with my dad. I try to share with David but just turning 13 there are things much more exciting to him then BBQ right now.

Back