How much meat to feed 100 people?

wingnut

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK, I need help from you experts. I have made several ugly drum smokers now between mine and several friends, and the team at work is tired of hearing us brag about how awesome the 'que is from these, and so they have demanded that we either put up, or shut up. We have been asked to cater the team picnic coming up on Sept. 11th. It's going to be great! I know they'll be blown away at how amazing the food is coming out of a "trash can" :-D

But, here's where I need your help. The company we work for is footing the bill for the meat, seasonings, sauce, and charcoal, but I don't know how much to buy. Maybe some of you experienced caterers can help. We will be feeding nearly 100 people. About 40 adults and 45 children (yes, this is Utah, lots of kids).

We want to do spare ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. Probably an even split between the three.

Also, do you think we have enough smoker space for all that meat? I have read several times that a well-packed double-rack UDS can hold up to 70lbs. of meat. With ribs on edge in racks and the rest packed in really well, can we pull it off with the 4 drum smokers that we have? There's a fifth UDS we could borrow from a friend if needed, plus I could probably fab a couple more in a hurry if needed. I have several barrels waiting on deck.

Anyway, please impart some of your BBQ master wisdom. How much meat will it take, and can we fit it on 4-5 UDS's?

Thanks in advance for the help, bros.

If you can skip the ribs, you'll need about 50 lbs of pork & brisket.
Should fit easily on 4 drums.

I agree with bubba on skipping the ribs, they are kind of a pia to serve to a crowd. They take up a lot of room in your cooker. If you figure about a quarter rack per person you would need twenty five racks of ribs. More than you can get on four UDS's and that doesn't even allow for the butts and briskets...

So what part of Utah? Are you one of the UBBQA guys?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Please keep it comin'

I agree with bubba on skipping the ribs, they are kind of a pia to serve to a crowd.

I was thinking to just let people sample the ribs since there are the other meats and lots of sides. Maybe 1-2 bones a piece.

So what part of Utah?

I live in Spanish Fork, but work in SLC. The shin-dig is going to be in Draper.

I noticed when I joined the forum that you're in Logan. I get up to Ogden pretty often, but Logan less frequently.

Are you one of the UBBQA guys?
No, becuase up until a couple of days ago I hadn't heard of UBBQA. I might just have to join the group. It would be fun and educational, I'm sure.

Wingnut...........

I agree with Earlymorning on the amount, and from the ribs you can get a bunch of TIPS. They are good for the kiddos and Beans (side),borrow another and do the Rib Tips for samples too:!: The Women may enjoy not sucking a bone in public:shock:
Be sure to do some Burnt Ends, a must around my bunch....:mrgreen:
Have fun and
SMOKE HAPPY:wink:

Unfortunately most of the kids I know prefer hot dogs to pulled pork or brisket. :sad: Be careful not to feed em all like adults.

I think John just made a very valid point about kids and hot dogs. Maybe you could kick some them up a notch with cheese in the middle and wrapped in bacon so it would be different and they would think you know something the rest of the world does not:-D:-D

That would certainly leave room for more "good" stuff for the adults.

Maybe if you had a very limited number of ribs, it would be good "advertising" - "damn, those were sooooooooo good, wish there had been more" Oh, wait - do they say "damn" in Utah:mrgreen:

Just my $0.02

Oh, wait - do they say "damn" in Utah:mrgreen:

They might say it after tasting my ribs! :lol:

That is a very good point about the hot dogs. And great idea about kicking the dogs up a notch so they're something better than plain old hot dogs.

Thanks! Very good feedback.

Any more suggestions?

I would figure 8-10oz of whatever per person and half that for kids.

Back