Ok need help identifying this wood PLEASE

mikeyd

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Ok everyone got this wood and several people have told me this is GREAT wood to cook over in my Santa Maria grill.
Can someone PLEASE help me identify what kind of tree this is?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Mike

based on the leaf I'd say it's an ash.

Not a hickory, for sure. Could very well be a species of ash. Looks like the leaves/twigs are opposite. Could also be some exotic ornamental tree. If it's a native tree, I'd say it's a species of ash, but it's hard to say for sure from those photos. If it was an eastern tree, I could tell you, but there's a lot of trees out there that I'm not familiar with.

Looks like ash to me too. I have used it to smoke a rolled roast in years past, and with excellent results also. Smoked it on a sheet iron folded "Pit". Bent in a U shape and put a grill and another piece of tin on top to hold in the smoke. Smoked it for about 3 hours, low and slow.

I was guessing Hickory or Ash myself but here is the weird part....the bark(maybe to young) doesn't look like ash bark does it? Also it does look like Hickory BUT it has the 5 leaf pattern like hickory.

I'm comparing all this to this site it shows the different leaf patter of the different types of Ash and toward the very bottom it shows the Hickory leaf patter. 5 leaves?
http://treedoctor.anr.msu.edu/ash/ashtree_id.html

Mike

The first thing that came to mind was ash, great for shade:D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Mikeyd. Show the pictures to your local cooperative extension. Go to the source.

Give it a try and smell the smoke. Cook a fatty on it or something cheap. I have never tried ash and I would be interested to know how it is.

If it is ash, it's not bad for beef. I wouldn't use it for the primary wood though. I'd mix it with another wood like oak.

I would agree, the branching pattern, bi-pinnate leaves and bark are all saying ash. It is a hardwood (obviously) and not toxic, that is to say, there are no toxins in an ash tree. I have no idea what the flavor profile will be. It will light fast and burn fast, as the tree is a fast grower, with an overall less dense structure.

So overall good cooking wood but mix with others don't use straight is what I'm understanding right?

Mike

Back