• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS - looking at allowing gas/ LP

carlyle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
At the rules meeting at San Diego the issue of allowing gas and or LP grills

came up again. The rules committee will be looking into this possibility.

Of course there was immediate reaction on both sides of the issue.

The logic of proponents of this change pointed to the abundance of grills in

most of the homes in the country. And that allowing them in KCBS would or

could broaden the interest and participation in KCBS.

What was said was that KCBS needed input from the membership on this

hot button issue.

I could not think of a better place to get the word out and begin the

discussion than right here.

I am not advocating one way or the other.

It seems to me that this represents a big change in philosophy and

direction for KCBS. And it seems the motivation is purely money.

If you have an opinion one way or the other, you need to have your voice

heard. There was a very small audience at this meeting and the discussion

needs to involve everyone who wishes to be heard.

So -- what do you think?

A stick of wood doesn't explode at 3,000 degrees. Serious safety/liability issues would have to be considered. I have a Kingfisher with a propane insert I'd love to use but what about some nimrod who rigged a burner and tank to his homemade barrel?

I am all for it

If someone with a $100 gas grill from Walmart or a $30,000 dollar Southern Pride wants to compete I don't see where heat source should be an issue. It would bring in more interest from the public seeing a pro cook win on the same backyard gas grill that they use. And for people selling products to the hobbiest market it would make it simple to do user friendly recipes. Lite grill and .......

this is a joke.....one main reason could be said as the grills in the backyard are mostly propane and that's where they belong IN THE BACKYARD....i would consider this one of the arts of the "professional" cook vs. "backyard" cook.....but hell they let pellet poopers in so might as well, not to much difference i guess

and i couldn't agree more about the dumb ass who makes a homemade propane smoker and has this 80 lbs propane tank jerry rigged to it with his idea of a "big grand finale" when hes done cooking....i'll pass

Speaking from a safety standpoint, 99% of all cookers competing in NCPC whole hog competitions are cooking with propane today. There are some safety rules and regulations that must be followed and there is usually a cooker inspection. I have yet to see an accident. In fact, some of the competitions prohibit wood due to safety reasons. Go figure! I don't think safety would be an issue with proper rules.

As far as the other reasons, I think the end product will stand on it's own. I don't really think a propane unit can be competitive in a KCBS event but if people want to give it a shot, I say bring it on. I cook in NCPC events with gas (and win my fair share) but would never try that in a KCBS event. And when I want some really good Q, I fire up my smoker.

not trying to insult anyone at all BUT, if someone rigs together some contraption that is propane fired and its dangerous to the people around them then i can't think of a better name than dumb ass

is having wood as the primary heat source in KCBS comp.'s kind of some of the integrity of the comp.? is controlling your cooker and feeding it the right amount of fuel some of the skill in BBQ? or is it strictly, 100% about the rubs, sauces, and cooking methods?
i was always under the impression that this was a part of the art of BBQ... building, controlling, and maintaining your fire....maybe i was wrong

is having wood as the primary heat source in KCBS comp.'s kind of some of the integrity of the comp.? is controlling your cooker and feeding it the right amount of fuel some of the skill in BBQ? or is it strictly, 100% about the rubs, sauces, and cooking methods?
i was always under the impression that this was a part of the art of BBQ... building, controlling, and maintaining your fire....maybe i was wrong

you may be right from a personal perspective but if you go to the KCBS website and read the About Us, Mission Statement and History page, no where does it talk about strictly wood cookery and what that encompasses. It only does this from a competition rules perspective...

Let's face it, someone with an entrepreneurial mindset and some $ could tap into the much larger market of propane cooks and replicate what KCBS has built... people will go to where the trends are and follow the $$.

Better to figure out a way to make it work and be inclusive (like the separate divisions), rather than go the way of the dinosaurs.

now that is a good idea, separate divisions and maybe a championship type of event between the two divisions....there is always debate on which is better or worse wood or propane so why not take advantage of the debate.....

Speaking from a safety standpoint, 99% of all cookers competing in NCPC whole hog competitions are cooking with propane today. There are some safety rules and regulations that must be followed and there is usually a cooker inspection. I have yet to see an accident. In fact, some of the competitions prohibit wood due to safety reasons. Go figure! I don't think safety would be an issue with proper rules.

As far as the other reasons, I think the end product will stand on it's own. I don't really think a propane unit can be competitive in a KCBS event but if people want to give it a shot, I say bring it on. I cook in NCPC events with gas (and win my fair share) but would never try that in a KCBS event. And when I want some really good Q, I fire up my smoker.

I cooked A NCPC event in Monroe NC a couple of years ago. 17 teams, me and 1 other guy using wood. He came in DAL and I came in next to DAL...lol. Then the Monroe comp went to a KCBS type format but allowed both wood and gas. My fishishes improved greatly:-D

I've cooked several SCBA events and non sanctioned events that allow both (or any) type of fuels and the wood cookers seem to do the best. The NCPC event judging criteria is stacked against the offset cookers but that's their deal. I say let 'em all in!

So a pellet pooper builds the fire by loadin the hopper and pressing the on button, then controls it by setting the temp, then maintains it by making sure th electricity stays on and the hopper full? Hmmm mm

i don't see the art or skill so much in making sure the power stays on or making sure your hopper is full of pellets....I've just seen a lot of articles, books, websites on BBQ, have whole sections and put huge emphasis on how to construct and maintain your fire, learning your equipment and how it works....and that's kind of the first hill we climbed when we started out, the building and controlling of our fire. With that being siad if the fire buliding and maintaining end of it is not to be considered as a skill in the comp. world of BBQ cooking then that is fine. I was just stating that i always thought the weight of emphasis and importance of how to build and maintain a solid fire and keeping that good smoke rolling was a large part of comp. BBQ cooking. Pellet poopers just seem to detract from that but, that is a different discussion for a different thread.

If they allow braised chicken in a muffin pan..why not? I think not much in competition is "traditional" anyhow. If someone cooking with gas beats you maybe you need to rethink your methods. KC

Damn. Having been entirely too near explosions and fires under the current rules, I can't think of anything less enticing than being near some party boys turned loose with propane.

Should the propane segment be included, I hope that KCBS is prepared to institute proper safety rulings, and provide manpower for inspections, both initial and during the contest, and make them stick.

I'm a wood-and-charcoal girl at heart. I'd be a little sad if preserving the art became less important than following potential dollars.

Back