UDS temp gauge.

R

Ryan_289

Where is the best place to get a temp gauge for my UDS project? I have seen different sizes and different length probes. Which one is the best?

Check out Spicewine. He is a brethren here and has some great products.

I just drop a stainless steel thermometer down one of my vent holes. That gets me a temp right at the grate height. You can pick one up at Lowe's or HD for $10.

stainless_thermometer_5025.jpg

I hope to have the therms. like above and an adapter that fits drums, gas and charcoal cookers and more, on my site this weekend. We have 8" and 12" lengths available. Buy both for 10% off at www.BarrelSmokers.net. Thanks. Steve.

I used an inexpensive 12 inch fryer thermometer for mine. I use a brass pipe to barbed hose fitting to hold it in place. The barbed side goes to the inside and gives plenty of support to hold up the thermometer.

Use a washer or two on the inside (so the threaded end doesn't stick out too far), and a lamp nut to hold the fitting. Cost less than $2 bucks.

(The pictures are for illustration and are not to scale)

Chris

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 138
  • lampnut.JPG
    lampnut.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 135
I have to recommend getting a Maverick or other remote style probe. You can get one with dual probes for not much more than an expensive thermometer. It will let you keep an eye on drum and food temp without opening it, and you can use it with your other grills and smokers. There has also been a lit of discussion on temperature variation access the cooking surface in a UDS. If you check the big UDS thread you will find that many people report up to a 50 degree variance from the sides to the middle. I got the ET-73 on Amazon for $35 with free shipping. They also have a new version that is supposed to have 3 times the range.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
iPhone autocorrect spelling errors.

I just drop a stainless steel thermometer down one of my vent holes. That gets me a temp right at the grate height. You can pick one up at Lowe's or HD for $10.

stainless_thermometer_5025.jpg

This is what I do. In fact, I use two of them if I've got both grates going. For mine, I just drilled a hole JUST as big as the probe stem about 1" below the cook grates. I just put the thermo in and the tip is exactly in the center of the smoker, directly under the grate.

If I need to pull grates to swap them or something, I can just quickly pull the thermo out of the way and then put it back in when done. No doing the math, no fighting the grates around a 2" stem.

I've also checked accuracy with mine and have found them to be just fine. For $10 (I think I got mine for less)......can't go wrong. If it lasts a year, swap it out.:thumb:

Back