First cook in America

I emailed the guy from craigs list, he called me tonight.

For $20 I can get a sealed barrel in good condition + $10 for him to do a perfect cut around the bead.
For $50 I can get a barrel with removable lid.

I am going to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon and bring the weber lid with me.
I am going to see how it fits if I flip the barrel, if that fits good then I will get him to remove the bottom not the top.

Apparently the barrels are bare metal inside and not lined :-D

Thanks guys :)

This UDS should be a pretty sweet one; the one I built in New Zealand was pretty nice but I was unable to get the items I needed to give it that special touch.

This is my previous build which I sold.

http://i.imgur.com/rexeN.jpg

Went to take a look at the barrel in question today along with my weber kettle lid.

Lid didnt fit on top OR on the bottom BUT we came up with another solution and is to cut the lid off the top leaving the barrel bead and welding an 1" strip of steel all the way around and then fitting the lid to that. I will also beable to use gasket rope or something similar to get a perfect seal.

All up is costing me $120 including barrel, parts and labor.

Since the inside of the barrel is bare metal and not epoxy I do not mind paying this amount considering my kettle lid will fit AND I dont need to waste tons of time burning and sanding the epoxy off.

I will post photos of the construction when I get the barrel back on Monday.

Welcome to the US from this fellow in the center of this land. I can't imagine sucha big move, one where you must sell everything you own. Glad you found an extremely useful cooker like that for free upon arrival!:thumb:

Looking forward to the UDS progress.

If I may offer a local shopping tip to you. The best place to reliably find bone-in pork butts and 12# plus briskets is at Smart and Final on Plumb Lane. Everything else is best bought at other places. If you know of a better place, please let me know. I'm new to the "Q". Thanks.

Welcome! You know drain whirlpools in the tub flow in the opposite direction around here. :mod: :biggrin1:

Welcome to America! Nice of the landlord to leave you an OTS! Great way to start!

I cant wait to start cooking on the UDS, ribs were so expensive to buy in New Zealand so I only cooked them occasionally, could not afford pork butt in NZ or Brisket so I am going to have a ton of fun :-D

Back