Cooking Class WSM in Classes?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any comp classes that are led by teams that use WSM's (aside from Harry Soo)?

Thanks,

Eric

We took the Corn Fed Cookin class that Tippy Canoe and Big T'z Q Cru gave last year. Ryan used WSMs, but he has since upgraded to a Jambo for the classes this year. If you took their class, I would guarantee that Ryan would be more than happy to tell you what he has done differently on the WSMs, including the special way he loaded coals/wood, etc. If you ask, he may even be willing to bring one of his 18.5 WSMs to the class to demonstrate some things for you. Joe and Ryan are very accomodating and there are willing to stay behind after the class and answer questions. No matter what class you take, if you are paying that kind of money, you have to try and ask as many questions as you can and get your money's worth.

Why would anyone use a WSM? There's no way those things could produce decent BBQ.

Because that is what I can afford and I have been fairly happy with results. Every comp I have been at I have seen several WSM's and from seasoned comp teams. So I feel that comment is a bit unfair, it is not the smoker that produces decent BBQ it is the cook.

I think he was joking, or hope so. Look at the GCs won by WSM teams this year.

If so my bad, I have actually had one person tell me I need to quit competing until I can get better cookers (and he wasnt sarcastic) so I jumped right away to what I felt was the same kind of comment

If so my bad, I have actually had one person tell me I need to quit competing until I can get better cookers (and he wasnt sarcastic) so I jumped right away to what I felt was the same kind of comment

Ill take a guess that came from a pellet guy

Ill take a guess that came from a pellet guy

A friend of mine that has done quite well on the competition circuit is moving away from pellets. He loves his WSM and has used it a few times in competitions. He is currently looking at getting a Backwoods - not sure which model.

Brian

its not the cooker its the cook! I will admit some cookers do make life easier than others..but it all comes down to you. I can ruin meat on a trash can or a Jambo ,Im not that particular.

JD from Wine Country "Q" has been "Team of the Year" of the PNWBA two years running cooking on nothing but WSM's. He has multiple GC's!!!

Rhythm 'n Que does them occaisionally. I've heard great things about their classes, and they cook with only WSM's with great results (and are members here :thumb:)

Rhythm 'n Que does them occaisionally. I've heard great things about their classes, and they cook with only WSM's with great results (and are members here :thumb:)

I don't think you will find a more successful team on the circuit cooking solely on WSM's than Rhythm 'n Que!

Five consecutive Jack Daniels Invites, a couple of Automatics and with calls, not to mention numerous GC's & RGC's to back it up, CBBQA TOY 2008-09 and 2010 Inaugural Sam's Club Invitational winners, is a hard nut to crack.

R 'n Q put on a rare class in N. California in April and it was definitely worth my time to attend.

WHAT??? I compete on drums that are about as cheap as you can get. :mrgreen:

We took the Corn Fed Cookin class that Tippy Canoe and Big T'z Q Cru gave last year. Ryan used WSMs, but he has since upgraded to a Jambo for the classes this year. If you took their class, I would guarantee that Ryan would be more than happy to tell you what he has done differently on the WSMs, including the special way he loaded coals/wood, etc. If you ask, he may even be willing to bring one of his 18.5 WSMs to the class to demonstrate some things for you. Joe and Ryan are very accomodating and there are willing to stay behind after the class and answer questions. No matter what class you take, if you are paying that kind of money, you have to try and ask as many questions as you can and get your money's worth.

I took the same class too. Ryan had good information involving cooking on WSM. Check this one out Joe and Ryan do a great job and are very accomodating.

WSMs are fine cookers. I use mine for my chicken in contests. Harry Soo won the 112 team Vegas contest back in March using just 1 WSM.

R&Q would be a great choice for a class they are offering one.

I don't go to competitions often but I've seen tons of them when I have gone. Look at some competition photos and you'll surely see some in the background (or even the forefront).

Back