View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #5628
big.burlinski
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
i've gone through hundreds of posts this weekend and purchased everything I need except the expanded metal for the charcoal basket.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to locate some expanded metal? I tried Home Depot and they didn't have any, I called a local machine shop in Dallas and they were going to charge me $74 for a sheet that is 8" by 44", which seemed a bit high to me.

Another question just came up, if I were to purchase a barrel with a teflon coated inside, would I need to burn out the teflon or could I use some sort of cleaner? Assuming of course it would be safe to cook/eat from after cleaning out the inside.

Any opinions/recommendations would be appreciated
One more North Texas option for the expanded metal (and probably all the other SS hardware) is Fulton's in Denton.

http://fultonsupplyandrecycling.com/index2.html

I had to buy an almost full sheet, but they'll cut it for you with their torch for a buck or two a cut.

It's a metal recycling place (aka glorified scrapyard), so the pieces are sitting outside and are pre-aged for you (aka already rusted a little).

Actually I could also provide you a piece 12" or 8" or whatever x 48" reasonably because I still have a bunch left over and I will only maybe be making maybe one more UDS some day. (the V2 where you try to make everything perfect and pretty after learning on the first one) :) I got a sheet which already had one cut made so it was around 6 or 7 ft. x 4 ft. for $30, then they cut it into a 12"x48 for my basket and three more 2 ft. x 4 ft. or so to fit in my trunk. We'll have to figure out how to cut it without a torch, but I do have an angle grinder with the right wheels for it. Just haven't tried it yet :)
I'm in The Colony. I'll PM you. You can see the larger pieces but I have three of those left.