Do you use Bleach or Sanitizing tablets at a comp?

Do you use Bleach or Sanitizing tablets?

• We use bleach only

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • We use sanitizing tablets only

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • We use bleach and sanitizing tablets together

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • We use something else (what?)

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, do you use bleach or sanitizing tablets at a comp for your "sanitizing" rinse? I am tired of carrying around a bottle of bleach and thinking of purchasing some Steramine Quaternary Sanitizing Tablets from Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steramine-Quaternary-Sanitizing-Tablets-Sanitizer/dp/B000W09SF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371779288&sr=8-2&keywords=sanitizing+tablets"]Amazon.com: Steramine Quaternary Sanitizing Tablets - 150 Sanitizer Tablets per bottle: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Do they work as well as bleach and will they pass the test for proper amount of sanitizing stuff? Just concerned about the proper health side of these things.

Or, maybe do you use both, combined?

Thanks.

wallace

i don't bleach a single food service item ever ever ever at home....my wife doesn't either, and she's food safe certified.

i don't bleach a single food service item ever ever ever at home....my wife doesn't either, and she's food safe certified.

Using a bleach water mix is required at KCBS competitions...

d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

We use sanitizing tablets after clearing them with a rep at a comp a while back. We've also had the local health department test out sanitizing tub with the tablets in it and he was fine with it.

I too got sick of bleach leaking and staining clothes etc. I switched to Sani tabs - I get them and the test strips ate Restaurant Depot.

Just a word of advice/caution....

If you use a sanitizer instead of bleach, it's a good idea to change it up every now and again, and use bleach. Sanitizers are made with quaternary (sp?) ammonia. Eventually they build up a "bio-film" that no longer gets killed, or removed. The only way to remove the film is with bleach.

Sanitizing tabs. Blue pills in a bottle are much more convenient than bleach. Never had a problem with a rep at a comp.

Using a bleach water mix is required at KCBS competitions...

We use sanitizing tablets after clearing them with a rep at a comp a while back. We've also had the local health department test out sanitizing tub with the tablets in it and he was fine with it.

i know.....that's why i wrote "at home".

We just use bleach / water mix in a bus tub. We have never really had an issue. Our soap tub tends to be the one that is causes the mess.

So, do you use bleach or sanitizing tablets at a comp for your "sanitizing" rinse? I am tired of carrying around a bottle of bleach and thinking of purchasing some Steramine Quaternary Sanitizing Tablets from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Steramine Quaternary Sanitizing Tablets - 150 Sanitizer Tablets per bottle: Health & Personal Care

Do they work as well as bleach and will they pass the test for proper amount of sanitizing stuff? Just concerned about the proper health side of these things.

Or, maybe do you use both, combined?

Thanks.

wallace

The sanitizing tablets are probably safer than bleach.

I use the tablets to sanitize, but carry a bottle of bleach for the inspection. I get the smallest bottle of bleach I can get so it doesn't take up a lot of room, and I buy a new one each year. The only thing that gets washed on site are my cutting boards and knives, with anything that was used at a comp getting a wash in the dishwasher once I get back home. Camrbo's are great for hauling dirty dishes...when you remember to take them out of the trailer once you get home lol.

Some health departments will frown on you taking things home and washing them, they cannot inspect your house, they also know that most homes do not have a sanitizing sink setup. Just make sure you are able to clean everything on site, what you "actually" do is your business.

Good feedback on this.

For those who use sanitizing tablets and carry a bottle of bleach, do you carry the bottle of bleach to satisfy the KCBS comments about using bleach for a rinse agent?

Thanks.

wallace

has anyone been inspected on this rule at a competition. i have competed at several and it has never even been brought up.

We got checked by the local HD in Milwaukee at their last event a couple years ago. Tubs were in view but empty, and I had bleach handy. We keep one of the small bottles in the trailer

has anyone been inspected on this rule at a competition. i have competed at several and it has never even been brought up.

We have competed in 6 comps so far and I agree, nobody has questioned anything.

BUT, the reps always ask to see a bottle of bleach; nobody has ever actually tested the water to bleach (sanitizing agent whatever) ratio. But then, we don't even mix up any of the wash/sanitize/water until we actually need to. Heck, that might be until a couple of hours after meat inspection.

I am wondering if when the reps come around doing the inspections and we show them a bottle of sanitizing tablets instead of bleach, if they would say its ok.

wallace

It seems to vary by region. KCBS rules call for meat inspection, and they call for having bleach, gloves, thermometer, etc. What they don't specify is whether or not an inspection should verify that you have those items.

It seems to me the further south we go, the more likely they are to check the meat only. In the northeast, the other items are always checked - every single contest.

Maybe the KCBS Rules Committee should clarify what the inspection should check. We always bring everything, including an ash can which we almost never use, in case it is required for the inspection.

We carry and show the reps the ammonia tablets and test strips and they pass every time. We are very close to 100 per cent disposable and only have a few items (grease separator, injectors and a few hand tools) that need to get washed. Knivers are wiped after evaryn use and cleaned with a disinfectant spray. We carry an ash and grease pan but just use a small shop vac for ash as we cook on pellets.

It seems to vary by region. KCBS rules call for meat inspection, and they call for having bleach, gloves, thermometer, etc. What they don't specify is whether or not an inspection should verify that you have those items.

It seems to me the further south we go, the more likely they are to check the meat only. In the northeast, the other items are always checked - every single contest.

Maybe the KCBS Rules Committee should clarify what the inspection should check. We always bring everything, including an ash can which we almost never use, in case it is required for the inspection.

Thier meat inspection guide is here http://www.kcbs.us/downloads.php They call for bleach for sanitizer solution, but I don't know of a requirement for gloves or thermometer?

Something that irks me is occaisionallly someone will come to inspect meat using a infrared thermometer, when it specifically says if packed in ice or a refrigerator, it is assumed the requirement is met. Ive had times where I'd just moved meat from a cooler to a cambro with ice in the sun, and they looked at me sideways because the meat temped at 42:mmph: Really? It's like 95 out here! I keep a copy of those rules in the trailer for when I see an IR thermo heading my way. We have been asked to also show a fire extinguisher, and bleach occaisionally

Back