• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just an idea...

The 55 gallon drum may be too short to have more than one shelf

Last edited:
ThomEmery said:
The 55 gallon drum may be too shoort to have more than one shelf

Roger that, Mr. Emery. I think it is in most cases, since you need a lot of space between the first shelf and the fire, as there is no heat sink. The only way is to put a shelf at the very top, and use the dome lid from a 22 1/2 inch webber for the lid. that way you can get two shelves.

I was thinking that there would be some sort of baffle to make the heating indirect. Something like the water pan from brinkman, or just a piece of sheet steel. For something the size of a 55 gallon drum, you should be able to get more than one shelf.

No baffle, no indirect. The point of the design is for the fat and juices from the meat to drip onto the coals, and sizzle, and add flavor back to the cook. This design comes as close as any to replicating the taste of the old open pits.
There must be a couple of feet between the fire and the lowest cooking grate.
Incidentially, the early designs for this cooker had no bottom, you made your fire directly on the ground, and placed the barrel over it after it was going. You lifted the barrel off to tend the fire. simple.

I can't find any dimensions. How tall exactly is a 55 gallon drum?

35" tall by 22" wide. Those BDS smokers have a couple of shelves, but they are in the top 12". Like Qman said, the fire should be on the bottom of the barrel.

There ain't one. 55 gallon will work just fine. Build it with a couple or three shelves, and play with it a little. If the shelves work, then use them. If they don't, then you just have some added flexibility. Its a lot easer to not use the shelves, than to add them later. The large BDS is a 55 gallon drum. Your design is sound.

Glad to hear it. I don't want the fire just on the bottom of the barrel though. I want it raised for airflow and to kee the ashes falling down.

I don't have any experience with BBQ equipment but I did design & build a 1 barrel RIMS. My experience with building home-brewing equipment, is you end up spending nearly what a commercial builder would charge and you often have to live with design flaws/ lack of features. I spent a lot of time and money redoing and correcting mistakes on my equipment. I you want to build your own cooker I say go for it, I just don't know how much money you'll save. I would guess Big Drum Smokers have evolved and continuously improved. He's made the mistakes so you won't have to.

Big Drum charges $595 plus $160 for shipping. Local guy is going to charge me about $160 for a similar custom design.

I don't doubt you can get one made more cheaply. Will it work as a well? The Big Drum seems to get rave reviews.

It does get great reviews. That is what prompted me to try this style.

Free Shipping For Stainless Jumbo Models
------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a limited time. Save $150 to $175 on shipping.

This special will also include:

1. Heavy-duty cover. ($100 value)

2. 2 rib racks. ($50 value)

3. Mini charcoal ring ($30 value)

4. Two pit thermometers. ($50 value).

Neil's looking for his checkbook right now.
icon_twisted.gif

Back