• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just an idea...

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The Big Drum Smoker gave me a few ideas and I talked to a local idea about building me something similar. He said he could build it from a barrel for about $160. Here is a quick sketch:

3dsmoker1.jpg

It's a cross section of course. What do you think?

I think that you could build it your self. Just figure out where you want your grates, and drill the holes. Drill and install at least4 1" long 14 bolts to hold each grill and you're set. As far as vents, you have several options from cutting a door with a jig saw to just drilling holes. I would cut a door for the fire, as reloading the tray will be tricky as it is so low in the cooker. Just use brass cabinet hinges to attach the door, and adjust flow by opening or closing the door. A 55 gallon drum is about 22" in diameter, which is the same as the weber kettles. You might have to measure your specific drum to be sure. As far as the drum, just ask around for a clean unlined can. We have several here we use for untreated water, but I'm a long way from Kali. Oh yeah, you can use the bung for exhaust, or just prop the top up a little. I would be glad to help you build one!

All you would need is a power drill, jig saw, 8 or 12 1" long 1/4" bolts (or larger), 2 or 3 grills, a pan for charcoal, and a couple of brass cabinet hinges. Including the drum, you should be less than $50.00, with most of that in your cooking grates. Probably take you less than an hour or two to put it together.

i think if that's a "quick sketch" i'm rather impressed

Neil
You have the idea I sure would put in multi racks So it comes down to finding the right BBL. As tall as you can. I wish shipping wasnt so high Rocky builds a heck of a unit at BDS.

I can't build it myself. I am the least handy person on this board.

The entire top will be a lid that removes. Holes will be drilled in the lid and around the bottom. Bolts will be used to control the airflow. The ash pan on the bottom will have stands in it on which the charcoal basket will sit. THe ash pan will make for easier cleanup and it will keep the bottom from rusting out quickly This will keep the ashes away from the coal and the air free flowing.

It will have handles on the side, unlike a WSM, for easier transport. I'm considering coaster type wheel but I haven't decided yet. Also considering a door aroung charcoal basket height but I don't know if the heat loss will outweight the convenience.

i would attach all the grills to a center pole that is suspended from the top so you could lift all the grills out as one.
phil

The guy that makes them has a bunch. Why ever do you ask?

It will be a little while before I can get it. Gotta recover from that $450 bash plane ticket first. MrsMista is still looking at me a little funny about that one...

Bigmista said:
The guy that makes them has a bunch. Why ever do you ask?

It will be a little while before I can get it. Gotta recover from that $450 bash plane ticket first. MrsMista is still looking at me a little funny about that one...

At least you can make it deductible now- you "professional caterer and BBQ competitor" you.
Business, advertizing, and professional development meeting, right? :lol:

TIM

The_Kapn said:
At least you can make it deductible now- you "professional caterer and BBQ competitor" you.
Business, advertizing, and professional development meeting, right? :lol:

TIM

You are right Kapn. Continuing Education is definitly a deductable business expense.:grin:

Bigmista said:
I can't build it myself. I am the least handy person on this board.

No you are not, we spoke on the phone, and I looked at your sketch, and still can not understand the true workings. I am under the impression, that it will be a BIG WSM. As for building it, if i had the toold, and materials, I would be forever known as leftythe 3 fingered cook when I finished attempting it.

parrothead said:
Did you add on to your balcony?

Nope. The old makeshift bullet will go when I get this one. If I like it, I will proabaly get 2 more and store them at my local Moose Lodge. THey let me use their kitchen occaisionally for cooking also.

Yeah TK sent me that one. That would be even more work reinforcing the bottom and you still have to buy the weber grill.

Back