• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My take on the Pork Rule

I think all the change did was bring pork more into alignment with the rules for the other meats. You can tear all the other meats into whatever shapes or sizes you want and now you can do the same with pork albeit after it has been inspected and proven to be a butt, shoulder or picnic that is at least 5 pounds.

If someone wants to part it up and cook it, have at it. I don't see it being any different than separating a brisket, making spares into St Louis, or muffin pan chicken. If anything I think it allows some more options to cooks, which isn't a bad thing.

The big question in my mind is.....IF teams start parting out the MM or tubes and start winning, then are those that do not part out missing the boat?

In other words, if parting DOES offer a distinct advantage (and I'm not necessarily saying it does), who'll follow the crowd? Is being a "purist" only leaving points on the table?

Not to offend anyone, but I part mine in another sanctioning class during the cook not to have over cooked product and get great scores. This just happens to be legal in that sanctioning class. I do not do this in KCBS, but I am a team who will part most of it only leaving a small part attached. I can say that KCBS is very tuff to have the perfect MM and the erfect chunck or pulled at the same time.

Agail I follow the rules in KCBS when competing in a KCBS event, but just knowing it is easier the other way to have great pulled and MM it has to be a temptation for teams to seperate the pork butt, With the fact that there is no way to police this, unless KCBS starts doing a pre turn in meat check, I would say to have peice of mind that everyone is on the same playing field, then they would need to allow the parting.

I know this might not be popular in here, but I am for it. It just gives us all peice of mind that no one is breaking a rule that I follow causing some form of unfair advantage.

You can tear all the other meats into whatever shapes or sizes you want and now you can do the same with pork albeit after it has been inspected and proven to be a butt, shoulder or picnic that is at least 5 pounds.

If you trimmed at home which would be legal then if you parted out then how can you prove that it was 5lbs in the beginning or would you just have to bring say 5lbs of money muscle or tubes or whatever it is that you want to cook.

If you trimmed at home which would be legal then if you parted out then how can you prove that it was 5lbs in the beginning or would you just have to bring say 5lbs of money muscle or tubes or whatever it is that you want to cook.

I trim at home, it is over 5#'s and I could finish the parting job in about 12 seconds at a comp now if I wanted to cheat (I don't).

I trim at home, it is over 5#'s and I could finish the parting job in about 12 seconds at a comp now if I wanted to cheat (I don't).

But it's not cheating since the rule doesn't say that it has to be cooked whole :-D

If stores started selling Money Muscles, Tubes, Horns from butts would they take out the must be 5 lbs rule to be more in line with Chicken.

If stores started selling Money Muscles, Tubes, Horns from butts would they take out the must be 5 lbs rule to be more in line with Chicken.

a butcher shop near me already does, the cut the MM off and grind the rest into sausage...I couldnt belive it when I first them there.

I thought the old rule was not at all vague, and not at all ill-advised. The new rule, which I recognize is a work in progress does need some more work, to make it more clear as to what is actually to be allowed. I don't see that as being a problem.

But, I thought the old rule worked fine too, and if you wanted to have medallions of money muscle, well, you had to cook at least two butts.

<<bbq forum poll>>
Do you agree with the 2014 pork rule that KCBS just made?
Votes Ratio
Yes 33 12%
No 130 49%
What Rule? 73 27%
Doesn't matter to me 30 11%
266 votes total
Does this matter?

The push on this rule is for food safety. My pork is so hot coming out of the Cambo, it will give you third degree burns. If KCBS was so worried about food safety, a hard rule would have been implemented banning CBJ's from taking food out from the judging tent. Rules are being changed for a minority of cooks to allegedly re-heat their pork. I find the poll on the other forum as very interesting.

Scottie - AMEN!!!!!!! SO FARKING WHAT, if some folks can't get what they want out of 1 or 2 butts. Learn to do it or buy more meat. This is like lowering test scores so "no child get's left behind". We know how that worked out.

Or, in the case of the St. Louis Fire department, lowering the standards for Captains tests for minorities. REALLY??? I'd rather have the smart ones (don't care what color) saving my arse.......doesn't KCBS want the best cooks? Nope, they want more cooks because that = $$. Hmmmm.

Scottie - AMEN!!!!!!! SO FARKING WHAT, if some folks can't get what they want out of 1 or 2 butts. Learn to do it or buy more meat. This is like lowering test scores so "no child get's left behind". We know how that worked out.

Or, in the case of the St. Louis Fire department, lowering the standards for Captains tests for minorities. REALLY??? I'd rather have the smart ones (don't care what color) saving my arse.......doesn't KCBS want the best cooks? Nope, they want more cooks because that = $$. Hmmmm.

But without That

You dont get this,

Sponsored By:
Gateway BBQ Store
Blues Hog BBQ Company
Plowboys BBQ Company
So everyone wants BBQ to grow

It is just one more step towards pacifying those cooks who don't know how to BBQ.

KCBS continues to prove that they are seeking the largest audience and number of teams possible, without any regards to the traditions of what makes BBQ...BBQ.

I gave up my KCBS membership in 2011, and with the current trend, I doubt I will ever have one again.

However I will continue to support traditional bbq, it's history and it's methods...all while you folks go out there and roast, braise and grill your meat in KCBS competitions.

:loco:

It is just one more step towards pacifying those cooks who don't know how to BBQ.

KCBS continues to prove that they are seeking the largest audience and number of teams possible, without any regards to the traditions of what makes BBQ...BBQ.

I gave up my KCBS membership in 2011, and with the current trend, I doubt I will ever have one again.

However I will continue to support traditional bbq, it's history and it's methods...all while you folks go out there and roast, braise and grill your meat in KCBS competitions.

:loco:

bold emphasis above mine which equate to absurd, bold stroke, all encompassing statments.

bold emphasis above mine which equate to absurd, bold stroke, all encompassing statments.

Yes...I am the master of absurd, bold, all encompassing statements :biggrin1:

It is my opinion that KCBS lost their way long ago, and they no longer represent true BBQ.

Bold or absurd - it is truth, as I see it.

Now am I suggesting that no one in KCBS can cook BBQ?
No..that is not what i said.

However if there are 1,000 cooks that are actual pitmasters, and 10,000 cooks who are not, but would love to give KCBS their money...who do you think KCBS is pandering to?

Again it is my opinion, that what is on the competition circuit these days is a long ways from BBQ.

Candied ribs, cupcake chicken & grilled pork is not bbq for example, at least not the way I see it..and this was the point of my post. :redface:

Back