Just What Is London Broil First Cut ?

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
W/D had them buy one get one free. Looks like a thick cut round steak to me but don't really know. I bought several and got them marinating in an A1 brand garlic and herb marinade.

Thought I would grill them to a medium rare, what you all think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

London broil is a North American beef dish made by broiling or grilling marinated flank, then cutting it across the grain into thin strips. The origin of the name is obscure; the food is unknown in London, England.
Many American butchers will label a cut of meat "London broil". This is incorrect as the term does not refer to a specific cut of meat, but a method of preparation and cookery. The cut of meat traditionally used is flank steak, but in recent years butchers have erroneously labeled top round roast/steak as London Broil. Because the muscle fibers run the entire length of this cut, the meat can be tough if not tenderized via pounding or massaging. Scoring, stabbing, cutting, penetrating, or otherwise mutilating the cut before sending it into the broiler results in a tougher finished product as it allows all the desirable juices to run out of the meat into the pan.
The preparation of London broil typically involves marinating the meat for several hours followed by high heat searing in an oven broiler or outdoor grill. In both heating methods the meat is placed approximately three inches from a direct heat source and turned several times to promote even cooking and avoid burning. It is then served in thin slices, cut across the grain.
In Canada a ground meat patty wrapped in flank or round steak is known as a London broil. Some butchers will wrap the flank steak around a concoction of seasoned and ground or tenderized flank steak (Zehrs Grocers in the GTA). Others sell a pork sausage patty wrapped in flank or top round steak labeled as London broil (Goeman's Lakeshore Meats in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada). The website for Goeman's[1] differentiates between Canadian London broil (the sausage patties wrapped in Top Round Steak) and American London broil (Top Round Steak). Another variant, popularized in Ontario, is a London broil "loaf", wherein the tenderized flank steak exterior is wrapped around minced and spiced veal as the filler. In some regions, bacon will be added between the flank steak and the veal grind.

My family loves London Broil. It was popular when I was a kid in the sixties.

It is a pretty lean, and therefore tough, cut of meat. You typically grill it like a steak, going for a nice car on the outside, and aiming for medium rare to rare on the inside.

To serve, you need to cut it thin, against the grain, and traditionally, it is cut on the bias.

I don't particularly like it. The flavor is mostly in the marinade, or in the sauce you dip it in. It'll give your jaw a pretty good workout.

For the full sixties experience, have a few hi-balls and a cheese ball with crackers before dinner. Jello salad in a copper jello mold makes a good side dish.

CD :-D

What is commonly called "London Broil" now days is based mostly on the direction of the grain in the cut of "Top Round".

They grill just fine if you don't try to do them too fast or too done. The marinade will help, especially if you put some meat tenderizer in the mix.

Be careful how you slice it or the pieces will seem tough.

Yes, you want to slice the meat, in the words of John Cleese (with fake French accent), "wafer thin" .

CD

I'm just amazed that yall don't know what London Broil is. Of course with the exception of Mr. MOS95B. It is Flank Steak. the only way to have LB. Just my opinion fellas.

Back