Freezing aged brisket for comps?

That's how I do all of my briskets... Never had a problem with them not scoring in contests... I've even trimmed them and then froze them. Still with good success.

Scottie

Well, usually when I get them I get 2 or 3 cases, so that will last me around 8 contests or 2 months... But I once lost track of a couple and they got buried in the bottom of one of my freezers. Found them the next year and used them and got 1st place with them... :icon_blush: So I guess they can be frozen for over a year too... I wouldn't recommend that though, as they might get burn through the vacuum seal...

My routine is the Wednesday before... I've taken them out on the Thursday (1 day) before the contest... Let it sit in some water for a while and get the defrost working faster.... I do prefer at least the Wednesday or Thursday the week before a contest... So I can trim them up 2 days before the contest and they aren't frozen...

Great, now you have my whole comp schedule.... There goes my cooking class... :roll:

I'm a newbie here, so forgive me - but approx. how long do you age before freezing? Thanks-warf

Thanks Big Dog. I appreciate the help :-D. Will have to try out the aging process.

I will also store my briskets in the freezer. It helps to not use a frost free which will dehydrate things leading to freezer burn.

Think about it, you find some real nice briskets on sale and you have a whole season of cookoffs ahead of you. Actually I normally will only have about a max of ten briskets in the freezer because they take up so much room. They also move pretty fast between cookoffs and catering. But when you find a good deal on the brisket either nice cuts and marbling or just great price, grab a few. I don't always use the frozen brisket for comps. They may stay in the freezer for a while for those times when you just can't find a good looking brisket for a competition, then the thaw begins.

I will also store my ribs in the freezer. I bought an entire cookoff seasons worth of ribs last year and still have five racks left. Last year was my best year for ribs and towards the end of the year that was the one category I could count on every weekend.

We age CAB as the good DR taught us.
Then, we freeze as needed.

I am picking up a case of CAB on Thursday.
But, they are going in to age and I am using frozen at Okeechobee next weekend.
They will score as well as I cook them.

Never a problem--brisket is our consistantly best scoring meat. :lol:

TIM

Back