• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chuck steak...and sea urchins

SmokingJo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,
today me, my wife and our little child we've spent a beautiful day at the sea of our wonderful Puglia (Italy), with our camper:

184ef72c.jpg

I have fished some sea urchins. Not all italian people eat them, we eat them expecially in the south of Italy. For me they have the best taste, above everything. They will be the entree for the dinner.

For dinner, let's have a chuck steak: 1 for me and my wife, thickness about 2 finghers, weight about 600gr (1,3lbs), reverse seared:
769f71c1.jpg

I have a little grill with me, veeery little, but useful:
cf74e733.jpg

Salt and pepper on both sides, then 10 mins per side indirect...till about 120 degrees....in the meantime contemplating the sea:
ef4fe0d9.jpg

Then 2 mins per side direct, the grate just above the charcoals.

Let the steak rest for about 5 mins on a plate, over a thin bed of extra virgin olive oil (my father makes this wonderful oil with our olives :biggrin1:), some chopped garlic, some rosemary and some sage.

In this 5 minutes, we've had some spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, choped parsley and the fruit of the sea urchins (sorry, no spaghetti photo, just the sea urchins fruit):
0858d2e5.jpg

And finally it's chuck steak time:
de8e58b7.jpg

2bb66e35.jpg

Chuck steak for me is one of the best cuts, pure beef taste, and this was very tasty.
*Last bite, it was the best:

f0d9d203.jpg

What a day, and what a dinner!

Thank you for watching, bye bye! :becky:

Nice view and grub. Never had sea urchins. Do they taste like chicken?lol
Italy is my dream vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic! Thanks for posting!!

Sea urchins taste like...uhm...there is nothing like! :heh:. They are very sweet and with an intense flavour. We usually eat them cutting them in half and dipping a little piece of bread directly in them. We eat them raw, and sometimes cook them for few seconds and on top of spaghetti.

Sounds interesting. No chance of getting any here in the swamp. If I ever get to Italy, will have to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of Italy is that ? I spent 3 years in Aviano about 60 clicks from Venezia.

Urchin fruit = rowe : correct?
Sea urchin ROE....yes that is what is pictured.
You didn't give the guy a chance with that spelin :laugh:

Look, frankly, can I come visit?
Please, SmokinJo, please?

Sea urchin roe is my favourite thing in the world, with bread, with pasta and raw, and also on steak!!
That looks brilliant, and your cook of the chuck was divine!!:clap2:

Thank you all for your compliments, I appreciate! :grin:

Buccaneer, sure, come here, you're welcome!

Sea urchin ROE....yes that is what is pictured.
You didn't give the guy a chance

Yeah my bad on the SP! Eggs by any other name =

They drag them critters up in the off season after scallop season. Divers also make a years wage diving in Jan. and Feb. in dry suits.

The whole harvest with sea cucumbers goes across the pond.

Back