• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Injection Advice

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any tips on the proper way to inject a butt? I'm not sure if I just try to load too much into the butt and just have all the excess leak out or is it my technique? I usually inject in one inch squares, being careful not to push all the way through.

you can get 2 to 4 cups liq into a 9 # butt.....go into the side that is cut and watch, I will have about 4 spots injected....... if butt is really trimned out it will not hold...it should blow up like a basket ball..if you penetrate from the fat cap side the fluid will not hold under the layer.. the old timers find the veins and inject into the artery system like a mortician

Last edited:
I always pick a top and a bottom, and leave it oriented that way. Then I always inject from the top and all sides at a 45 degree angle downward.

I have found that by doing it this way, you don't tend to lost so much injection..... It's what I do ....

I saw Myron Mixon on Pitmasters using what he called injection bags. Looked like a good idea, but I really haven't tried to find any so i guess I wasn't that impressed. I just inject and then clean the wall, floor, etc.

I saw Myron Mixon on Pitmasters using what he called injection bags. Looked like a good idea, but I really haven't tried to find any so i guess I wasn't that impressed. I just inject and then clean the wall, floor, etc.

I think they were garbage bags.

I think they were garbage bags.

I stopped using garbage bags for food after I heard that the bags now can contain an insecticide to reduce bugs. There is no requirement for garbage bags to be food safe.

you can get 2 to 4 cups liq into a 9 # butt.....

WOW! That's a lot of liquid.
I'll inject maybe two hypo's full and do it like a Dr. does liposuction only in reverse. Keep the needle moving in different directions and depths while pressing slowly on the plunger.

I put the meat in an aluminum pan and inject away.
I hit it in different places, at different angles and depths until it won't hold any more.

Back