• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ related desserts - ideas please.

WSM2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wanting to turn my culinary creativity up a bit and make something a bit special for our local church group. I'm looking for a recipe that could be either smoked or grilled, it would be very sweet and it might be bite sized. It could be wrapped in a phillo dough as a small triangle too. What ever it is, it should be decadent. And it won't contain any meat.

Have you got any ideas for something simple?

Thanks everyone.

Smoked Pineapple. It's easy and delicious. Find ripe ones, skin and halve longways, drizzle w/honey and turbinado sugar. Smoke (we like Pecan) until color is nice and core is tender. It will soften on a ripe one, not on green one. Then we pan after cubing into large chunks, add more honey and sugar along with some dark rum,1/4" in pan and return to heat until fluid is absorbed. Good stuff.I guess decandence would come from type of tooth pick or stabbing device and maybe a cherry on top. You said no meat, so no bacon wrapped peaches or pineapples. Too bad. Good luck. Steve.

One thing I love about fine dining in Britain is the fruit and cheese course they do after a fine meal. It is usually served with a Porto or other after dinner drink, but you could skip that for your church -- unless you are Lutheran (like me).

Smoke some cheese and grill some fruits. It will definitely be a first time treat for a lot of people.

CD

This not rocket science it bbq plain and simple. When you have something good why try and improve it. Next thing you know they be drinking hot tea with q

I make peach shortcake. Use shortcake cups like for strawberry shortcake or make your own out of bisquick (recipe on the box is good with extra vanilla and sugar). Cut your peaches in half, remove the pit and grill over low heat with a pat of butter, a tbsp or so of brown sugar and a splash of bourbon or GOOD dark rum (Ron Zacapa can't be beat). When the skin is starting to slough off and the fruit is slightly softened pull em off, remove the skin and serve over shortcakes with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.

I second the grilled pineapple/peaches, me and the whole family love them. Lot of good recipes out there for it.

Only other thing I do is make Bana smores in some hot coals, picked that up from a buddy who's a Boy Scout troop leader. Good eats, but messy eats too.

I use a pineapple recipe that uses some heat to counter the sweet, and I think it's really great.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Second to Jazzybadger's rec for banana s'mores... We've done these for Scouts and they are easy and readily customizable. Take a banana, peel most of the way, but keep the bottom attached, slit lengthwise, drop in chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows, whatever you like! Wrap up in peel, then wrap in foil. Drop foil packs into the fire for ~10-15 mins, remove and chow down. Ooey, gooey, sticky, and delish.

Bruce

Pineapples,apples,peaches,pears,rhubarb,nanners.......fruit shaslicks!:thumb:
Serve your fruits with red berries,nuts,icecream,yoghurt,chocolate,wafels mint leaves....

Back