BBQ Brethren "Food from a place you'd like to visit" Throwdown

I have always wanted to travel to Australia or New Zealand. When I was growing up we always associated Lamb with New Zealand. I guess because there was not much American Lamb available.

Think that had to do with range wars over grazing rights, but I digress.

I remembered reading a thread awhile back where someone was having trouble with Lamb and its been stuck in my head ever since.

Well I have to tell you that I love Lamb, but Sharon (BHSLH), doesn't. Then just last week she relented and said if it was cooked outside she would eat it.:clap2:

So here is my entry.

First the basic stuff. There are a few things that aren't in the Pron but you will see them.

Ingerdients.jpg

First I cut slits and put in fresh garlic, then seasoned the Lamb with my very special blend. Salt, Pepper, and then I remembered that I had fresh Rosemary in the garden. Gotta have that on Lamb!

Seasoned.jpg

Then on to the Offset. I've been having some fire control problems with this one and wanted to work on it before I have 40 people over in just over a week. Also added a Red Pepper and a wrapped Sweet Potato. I used Cowboy lump, Hickory, and Australian Pine to finish it,

Just-On.jpg

Temps were no problem today, it held a steady 227 on the Maverick. The only problem was that it was only a 3 lb. leg and it cooked in 2.75 hours. Now what do I do? :pray::pray:

I took it off and double wrapped it with HD foil and then into a very big towel, and into the oven to rest. It was easier to use the oven than a cooler. Potato, and pepper were done too. Here is the Lamb when I unwrapped it.

Just-Off.jpg

Great color and seemed tender.:clap2::clap2: Then for the big moment, what did it look like inside?

I was thinking Med Rare.:pray:

Sliced.jpg

Yes Yes, Its perfect:clap2::clap2:

So the next thing is to plate it. Added the baked Sweet Potato, some Green Beans with some of the roasted red pepper. Chris, please use this next photo.

MoneyShot.jpg

What a meal!! The Lamb had a nice smoke ring and an awesome flavor. Sharon (BHSLH) said it was the best she had ever had. And we can have it again.:clap2: The sweet potato was also perfect. Soft and well done with no extras like marshmallows of sugar. Just a touch of butter.

Hope you all like it cause we sure did. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Chef Jim,

CONGRATULATIONS!

I have been waiting some time to announce and bestow this award.

You are the first recipient. I apologise for doing this in the middle of a Throwdown... But WHY NOT!

Here it is JIM...

ALFTickofApproval.gif

As SELF APPOINTED AUSSIE LAMB EXPERT, I award you the inaugural "ALF" SEAL OF APPROVAL.

This award in future will not be handed out lightly, but will only be given to people who present dishes showing fine appreciation of lamb. I don't care where the lamb is from, being an international forum, but it MUST BE BBQ'd or Grilled using wood or charcoal. I Offer this award to promote the appreciation and consumption of lamb in The US and other countries.

Well done Jim!

Cheers!

Bill

I remembered reading a thread awhile back where someone was having trouble with Lamb and its been stuck in my head ever since.

I think I remember that thread too Jim, but I think it was Billy having trouble with a Lamb..., in a barn!

[/QUOTE] CONGRATULATIONS!

I have been waiting some time to announce and bestow this award.

You are the first recipient. I apologise for doing this in the middle of a Throwdown... But WHY NOT!

Here it is JIM...

As SELF APPOINTED AUSSIE LAMB EXPERT, I award you the inaugural "ALF" SEAL OF APPROVAL.

This award in future will not be handed out lightly, but will only be given to people who present dishes showing fine appreciation of lamb. I don't care where the lamb is from, being an international forum, but it MUST BE BBQ'd or Grilled using wood or charcoal. I Offer this award to promote the appreciation and consumption of lamb in The US and other countries.

Well done Jim!

Cheers!

Bill[/QUOTE]

Point of order, and honour. Chef Jim titled his post "New Zealand", not "Austrarkinfalia" !!!!!!:boxing:

You lot would steal anything from New Zealand, it's in in your blood- Phar Lap, Pavlova, Anzac bikkies, Crowded House, Keith Urban, Russell Crowe, (...well, you can keep Russell Crowe)....the list is endless. Farkers.

Nice award though, next time I do up a leg I'll make sure it's Australian lamb and put in for it :thumb:. It'll look good next to the Rugby League World Cup..

- Dave (stepping down off his inferiority complex soapbox...)

Point of order, and honour. Chef Jim titled his post "New Zealand", not "Austrarkinfalia" !!!!!!:boxing:

You lot would steal anything from New Zealand, it's in in your blood- Phar Lap, Pavlova, Anzac bikkies, Crowded House, Keith Urban, Russell Crowe, (...well, you can keep Russell Crowe)....the list is endless. Farkers.

Nice award though, next time I do up a leg I'll make sure it's Australian lamb and put in for it :thumb:. It'll look good next to the Rugby League World Cup..

- Dave (stepping down off his inferiority complex soapbox...)[/QUOTE]

Dave, Not my fault that when I was a kid everything here was labeled NZ. That was just part of the story. You lot get upset over the smallest things.:laugh::laugh::laugh: :clap2:

And just by chance it happened to be American lamb. I love Lamb no matter where it came from.:thumb:

American Pork and Beans (Using Australian Pork!)

G'day Bruces'

My entry for "Food from a place you'd like to visit" is my Pork and Beans Dish, a well know American comfort food.

I hope I have done it justice... The full thread is here. PLease come and have a look. This dish took a huge amount of effort, but was well worth it.

Just 2 pics for the entry..

DSC_0064_410.jpg

DSC_0065_411.jpg

Please use the last pic for the vote.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Bill, I don't know what you've been reading, but I've never seen pork and beans look so good. You've obviously made it all wrong.

I did not know there was an award for cooking NZ or OZ lamb. Then again, if I get that award, then my stand on not getting a MOINK certificate will look hollow, as will my streak of getting one vote per Throw Down.

That is a good whack of pork and beans.

Here is my tribute to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, an area I always wanted to visit.

Creole chicken and sausage with bacon wrapped scallops, salt pork scruncheons and a shrimp cocktail on the side.

fixins-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Please use last pic ...

Last edited:
I want to go to Landarc's house. Last year I had the opportunity to meet Bob at the Oinktoberfest in Nor. Cal. I soon thereafter started reading his blog. Let me tell you, unlike some folks that write about BBQ, Bob really knows how to cook also. On his blog I read about Char Sui pork and it got me thinking about my favorite greasy spoon Chinese restaurant growing up. I knew I had to try my hand at homemade Pork Fried Rice. I followed Bobs method for the Char Sui Pork, with a few additions of course. Cooked on the big green egg. The first shot is the Pork diced up and ready for the Wok. Second is the veggies cooking and the last is the final product. Please use the second for the contest.
Thanks again Bob and I will continue following your blog.

NUTZ

Last edited:
I think I'd like to (re)visit Greece

First of all, I'd like you to sit back and relax. I'm going to take you on a little trip. To get the mood right, click on the following link, turn your speaker volume up, then come right back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfZHNHXGIQ

There, that's better now. Many years ago, I spent about six months working in a remote village on the island of Crete. The landscape was amazing and the water was an unbelievable turquoise. I always wanted to go back. Many years later, I took my family to Rhodes. It's not the same as Crete, but it has other charms.

img_1025.jpg

I wanted my family to walk through the narrow alleyways

img_0984.jpg

discover beautiful Mediterranean houses

img_0983.jpg

and come out upon quaint squares

img_1029-1.jpg

and find other unexpected pleasures

img_0971.jpg

and of course my girls had to have some souvlaki!

img_1015.jpg

I thought that would be nice to make for this throwdown. Rather than the traditional lamb, I went with chicken. I wish I had known about the Australian Tick before I went shopping. I marinated some boneless skinless thighs in lemon juice and olive oil and added oregano, parsley, fresh garlic and onions. I grilled these

IMG_0094-1.jpg

and also heated up my pita bread

IMG_0095.jpg

but also had to make some fresh bread for dipping in the tzatziki.

IMG_0086.jpg

I served this with a Greek salad and some Ouzo (for my Husband). Greek souvlaki is served with fries in the sandwich. I fried up some in olive oil for an authentic taste.

IMG_0115-1.jpg

Almost as good as being there....

Wow, this is gonna be another tough one to vote on.

Wholy smokes Ecode... you sure know how to set the mood!

Does your husband know how lucky he is????

Northern Spain

I decided to visit Spain, specifically mountainous northern Spain. It's like a second home for us and it has two of my favorite restaurants. El Oso is located in the village of Cosgaya and is in a beautiful stone building

100_1975.jpg

I always order Cocido Lebaniego.

100_1970.jpg

It's not much to look at, but it is delicious. It's base is the locally grown garbanzos and there are all kinds of meaty treats mixed in. A trip to Spain is not complete without it. My other favorite restaurant is actually a bar in Santander called Meson Rampalay. I love their tapas. I believe it is as authentic as you can get, nothing fancy, just good food. Spain is quite urbanized and only a small percentage BBQ, so I had to make some modifications to the typical Spanish recipes. Fried chorizo is one of the most common tapas and our fridge is well stocked.

IMG_0085-1.jpg

Another favorite of mine is ribs cooked in garlic and parsley. These are not usually BBQ'ed, so I had to modify the recipe. These are made with cut spare ribs

IMG_0084-1.jpg

I seasoned these with salt, pepper and olive oil, then smoked them for two hours. Afterward, garlic, parsley and salt are crushed together

IMG_0126.jpg

and applied.

IMG_0127.jpg

[I cannot look at that pic without salivating] I then foiled these for about an hour and finished them on the grill. Another racion is shrimp marinated with garlic and lemon juice. I wrapped these in smoked (then roasted) red pepper:

IMG_0087.jpg

The grill is not the traditional method for cooking tapas, but it worked great.

IMG_0131.jpg

While tapas are finger food at the bar, raciones are slightly larger helpings:

IMG_0135-1.jpg

I served these with olives stuffed with anchovies and some pacharan. [Chris, please use this next pic]

IMG_0147-1.jpg

I wish I had some Chocolate con Churros, but I'm sure my girls would have eaten them all.

IMG_3843.jpg

Wow! The guantlet has been thrown down! My poor ribs are aching from the beating they are about to receive!

Gore,
Excellent representation, nicely done as usual. ole!.:clap2:

Last edited:
Back