Favorite Dry Rubs

No votes for anything else like Byron's or Wolfe?

I've bought Bad Byron's and like it but it's getting to expensive. Like Wolfe rub and have been using the original on everything. Took 2nd place in a ribs only contest using it and a cherry chipotle sauce. That combo will be what I'll be using until I find something different.

Doug

Commercial
Pork: Billy Bones Competition (green label) (if ribs I do a 50/50 mix with his xxx Cherry rub)
Beef: Billy Bones Beefmaster for roast, montreal for steaks
Poultry: Weber's Kickn Chicken

Homemade:
Pork: haven't found the perfect one yet
Beef: my cajun beef rub
Poultry: Poultry Perfect Rub made from Smoke and Spice

You'll probably get as many choices as there are brethren...try these...they seem to be fairly popular...

Chicken...Plowboy's "Yardbird"
Beef...Plowboy's "Bovine Bold"
Pork...Bad Byron's "Butt Rub"

I mainly do my own though...my favorite is a kicked up version of Dr. BBQ's "Big Time BBQ Rub". Have fun! :p

rubs

Wow...you opened a can of worms..
vrvtx5.gif
..or rather a can of seasoning.
You might just try a few that sound interesting to you; and see
which one you like best.
If you're in a pinch, you can use Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
You can give it a bigger flavor by adding black pepper, Garlic,
and Paprika.
But; try a few and see which one fits your style of cooking.

I like to make my own.
DSC_0013-1.jpg

But until then I use common bottled methods.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Up to now, I've always found recipes and mixed my own rubs (though I can't say they are of my design). I just got a lb each of Bovine Bold and Yardbird last Friday.

I've dusted ABT's, PIGGLES and just tonight some boneless chops with Yardbird, and I gotta tell ya.....DAYUM, that's gooooooood. I've only just started using it, but it's pretty farkin tasty!!

Here's a rub recipe I got off of the VWB site for pork butt. Apparently, it's from the "The Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe from the book Smoke & Spice.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Southern Succor Rub[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 cup Turbinado sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 Tablespoons table salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 teaspoons dry mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt, with some leftover for use in the Southern Sop.[/FONT]

I've used the above rub recipe several times. I like it a lot.

i use some variation of the rubs in Smoke and Spice, but lately I picked up all the Dp rubs - they are very good...very fresh ingredients and a variety of flavors. I also picked up Plowboys Bovine Bold and am looking forward to trying that on some beef this week

I spend one day(a month) creating new rubs and redoing old rubs, from books and my own creation.
I have 30 + rubs to choose from:-D.
I now have an all purpose rub that I have used on everythig and love:mrgreen:.
It has beer extract powder in it.

i love meathead's magic dust. i wanted to keep this from my friends but since none of them can cook (and it's posted at amazingribs.com) i figured i'd let the cat out of the bag:

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
4 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried rosemary, ground to a powder

Too new to have a fav, Makin your own is alot more fun than buyin it.The three favorite books with recipes are Smoke and Spice(their take on someone elses,but agood base line,Peace Love & BBQ by Mike Mills(make your own magic dust,dont buy it), and Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauces. The last one has alot of different rubs but best of all its got sort of a template for making your own with alot of dos and donts.Buy seasons in bulk and spend a weekend. BIG HINT-WRITE IT DOWN!!

Here are the rub mixes I currently use. It is very unlikely that I will ever spend any of my hard-earned cash mail-ordering rub from some other guy when it's so easy to make my own. I pulverize the onion powder before using because the way I buy it, the stuff tends to clump up and not mix right if I don't. If I'm doing a small amount I just use the spice grinder. For a larger amount, I use the mortar & pestle (molcajete and tejolote). I'd really like to see some of you veterans post your rub recipes too! By the way, neither of these are completely original. I don't remember where I stole the pork rub recipe, and my beef rub recipe is a slightly modified version of one called Big Bad Beef Rub. Not much of this stuff is original, it's ALL tweaks ..

seattlepitboss

Pork rub:
6 paprika
1 celery salt
1 sugar
1 sage (be sure it's well powdered)
1 mustard
1.5 chipotle
1 onion powder
1 garlic powder

Using tablespoon as the measure yields just enough rub to do six racks of ribs. If like me you use a former seasoned salt jar as your rub container, using two tablespoons as the measure yields one jar full.

Beef Rub:
6 salt
6 sugar
6 ground black pepper
3 onion powder
2 ancho chili powder
2 dried mustard
2 garlic powder
1 chipotle powder

Using tablespoon as the measure yields plenty for 3 large briskets.

Spicewine Rubs

My family loves Spicewine's Hen and Hog Dust and Heffer Dust.
I think these rubs are really fantastic.

I always have a big batch of DR. BBQs Big Time Rub made up also.

Back