THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scottjess

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Scottjames84
Hi guys.

Was wondering what temp gauges you would recommend installing on a UDS.

Thanks,

I think I will buy a cheaper non digital gauge; the tel tru although nice is a little pricey.
I have a Maverick et732 that I will use at grate with a cheaper secondary non digital gauge.

I use a 10.00 old country smokers temp gauge on mine. Everytime I check it it is spot on 4 yrs now.

I sure like SpiceWine Temp Gauges....
he's a Brethren, if you were unawares...
spot on now for almost six years.....
and,they look cool too....

DrumGrill_1.jpg

Last edited:
I also use the 12" turkey fryer thermos. I actually have 2 in mine, one about 1/2" under each cooking grate. They're cheap, easily replaced and I've found them pretty accurate.

I don't know who the MFG is on that gauge N8Man but I have the same one and it was labeled Old country Smoker Co. on the pkg. irregardless it's a good un
uds009-1.jpg

I put a gauge from Academy Sports just above the bottom grill grate.
It's been dead on for temps.
(I tried moving a oven gauge around on the grate and got consistent readings)

When I use my upper grate I use an old turkey cooker thermometer dropped thru one of the exhaust holes in the top.
Close enough for Government work...

A UDS may be the most forgiving smoker you can use.
The moist environment gives a little leeway in temperature.

I also use the 12" turkey fryer thermos. I actually have 2 in mine, one about 1/2" under each cooking grate. They're cheap, easily replaced and I've found them pretty accurate.
If there is a hex fitting between the stem and the dial, they are adjustable. While the stem is in boiling water, turn the dial while holding the hex till the needle points corectly.

I use the Walmart turkey fryer thermometer as well. It's just close enough to get a good idea how its running. When I first started using my drum I compared it to my digital to get a reference and life is now good.

Back