Egg Woes... but amazing steaks.

Get a new firebox and don't even bother with any felt gaskets from the dealer. I'll be calling CS Monday for Nomex gaskets for mine. I cooked with a cracked firebox on my old used Large for a couple years and the bottom eventually cracked. I bought new for the warranty.

I will say that Big Green Egg has stood by their cookers and have really taken care of me.
As for my local dealer, one of the salepersons inferred that I was a whiner when I brought up the issues I was having -I'm not sure if it costs them or not-but I will never spend another dime in that joint!

Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I have had this discussion with the Grand Imperial Poobah, and tried to edgeumacate him on the ways of the Midwest, but alas, I too have failed in my quest. :roll:

Now I would understand if he called it a NY strip, because, after all, that's where he lives. But no, he calls it a farking Shell steak. Where the fark do you buy them...at a farking Shell station???:twisted::mrgreen::wink:

I have heard that the ceramic is guarenteed for life. Will they replace it forever if it cracks? I am thinking about getting one myself.

Get a new firebox and don't even bother with any felt gaskets from the dealer. I'll be calling CS Monday for Nomex gaskets for mine. I cooked with a cracked firebox on my old used Large for a couple years and the bottom eventually cracked. I bought new for the warranty.

I will say that Big Green Egg has stood by their cookers and have really taken care of me.
As for my local dealer, one of the salepersons inferred that I was a whiner when I brought up the issues I was having -I'm not sure if it costs them or not-but I will never spend another dime in that joint!

Wow...I'm sorry to hear that bro. I've always had pretty good service from "They who shall not be mentioned". I wonder if HE was having a bad day?

I have heard that the ceramic is guarenteed for life. Will they replace it forever if it cracks? I am thinking about getting one myself.

It is...BGE sent Brian a new bottom for his old one just a few days ago. You'll never have any worries about warranty from BGE...those guys are awesome.

Poob...I think I would have the box replaced as soon as you can...it may have been a contributing factor as to why Brian's bottom cracked.

Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???
Beef Loin Flat Bone Sirloin Steak
Beef loin flat bone sirloin steak, also called beef loin sirloin steak, contains the top sirloin and tenderloin muscles. The hip bone is long and flat. It is usually prepared by broiling, grilling, panbroiling, or panfrying.
Image85.jpg
Beef Loin Shell Sirloin Steak

Beef loin shell sirloin steak is similar to other beef loin sirloin steak, but with the tenderloin muscle removed. It is usually prepared by broiling, grilling, panbroiling, or panfrying.
Image87.jpg

Now I would understand if he called it a NY strip, because, after all, that's where he lives. But no, he calls it a farking Shell steak. Where the fark do you buy them...at a farking Shell station???:twisted::mrgreen::wink:

They are only sold in bags of 5 or 6 called a "Sleeve of Shells"

I have only had my egg for a few months now and when I got mine the dealer told me to watch close cause there was word about some bad clay that several parts may have got out of the factory. This is just going by what my dealer told me. So far mine has been fine the gasket on the other hand needs replaced though.
Good luck

I have had this discussion with the Grand Imperial Poobah, and tried to edgeumacate him on the ways of the Midwest, but alas, I too have failed in my quest. :roll:

My Shell Station never hear of them,WTF

My med has a cracked firebox. No telling how long it was cracked before that.

LOL, about two years,

120_2086.jpg

You might give it a go on a low and slow test before jumping through hoops to change the gasket. My large leaked like this for almost a year before I changed it. t

cooked on it again tonight.. At this point, more than half of the top gasket has just fallen off and when I opened the lid, it took the bottom gasket with it. Nearly no gasket left. Cant say Im overly thrilled about having to replace a gasket in less than 2 weeks.

dealer said to register the egg online, but i didnt see anyplace on the website to do that.. Anyone have a phone number for BGE?

Don't think you can register online or by phone but you can and should mail in the warranty card that is in the back of the book that comes with the egg. Here is corp office phone # (770) 938-9394

Vitale did notr offer any other immediate help on their part to get the new gasket or firebox ?

From BGE website...

PROCEDURES FOR WARRANTY SERVICE
Contact your nearest Big Green Egg Dealer for part replacement under the conditions of the Warranty. Be prepared to furnish the following: purchaser's name, date of purchase, location of purchase, and an accurate description of the problem or the defective parts.

Last edited:

Oh professor dog, stick with Science. :wink::cool:

NY Strip, KC Strip, Shell Steaks, Strip Steaks AND Delmonicos. All the same cuts. Rule here is a whole shell can be cut different ways.. if steaks are cut under one inch its a strip, over one inch its a shell or Delmonico. In reality, they are ALL Shell steaks.

Now, you and Bill... Stick with Steakums. :)

cooked on it again tonight.. At this point, more than half of the top gasket has just fallen off and when I opened the lid, it took the bottom gasket with it. Nearly no gasket left. Cant say Im overly thrilled about having to replace a gasket in less than 2 weeks.

Maybe it was your other cookers hazing the new guy in the backyard.:biggrin:

I have cooked with a cracked firebox(replacement is on the garage shelf) and no gasket for years...

I keep thinkin' about those new high temp gaskets, just never gotten around to installing one...

dealer said to register the egg online, but i didnt see anyplace on the website to do that.. Anyone have a phone number for BGE?

There were several eggs that lost gaskets right off the bat at last years BGE fest...it wasn't pretty. The BGE rep was scrambling to find replacement gaskets for all the folks that purchased demo eggs (myself included) He was doing some serious damage control.

I was cooking on two eggs...one was doing a brisket flat @ 250 and the other was doing grilled stone fruits @ 350-400...the gasket on the one running @ 400 peeled off right away...the 250 was fine. THAT'S the one I brought home. It's been fine so far...:p

Oh professor dog, stick with Science. :wink::cool:

NY Strip, KC Strip, Shell Steaks, Strip Steaks AND Delmonicos. All the same cuts. Rule here is a whole shell can be cut different ways.. if steaks are cut under one inch its a strip, over one inch its a shell or Delmonico. In reality, they are ALL Shell steaks.

Now, you and Bill... Stick with Steakums. :)

I just love getting Phil's panties in a bunch on this. :twisted::mrgreen::wink:

Its that why Im walking all funny.?

The wife hates when I return them to her drawer all stretched out.

:)

Back