• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Clock

Pig Headed

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just thought that whoever is thinking about buying a clock for comps would like this. I saw one like it at Dover last month. It was the KCBS reps official time clock. There are three good things about this clock:

1- $19.95 at Radio Shack
2- Large numbers for easy reading
3- Self adjusting to US Atomic clock in Colorado

Ignore that man behind the clock, he's clueless.

Attachments

• Atomic Clock.jpg
    Atomic Clock.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 240
thats what I keep in the comp trailer to. I have noticed tho that it can be a minute fast or slow at times.

Sayville had several Atomic clocks showing different times... made a few teams pretty happy.

I used to have a clock like that, it didn't last to long. The problem I had was that it was hard to see the numbers in the bright day light.

Atomic clocks are nice.
Cell Phones work fine, as do wrist watches set to the event time.

If you do not wait till the end of the window, the EXACT time is not much of an issue.
We normally hit the first 1/2 of the window with little problem.

Just a thought.

(Trying to drag this back into a Comp Thread before it goes to WoodPile) :lol: :lol:

TIM

I always set our clock to the cell phone time. 'Cept for Dover when the clock battery died. Maybe thats why our ribs were 7th from DAL? At least there weren't any toothpicks this time...

I bought my father an atomic clock from amazon for christmas last year. This morning I get an email saying that it did not update for EST. How the hell am I supposed to fix this.

Our atomic clock is ALWAYS spot on with the rep's atomic clock. I love it. Forgot it at Atchison and I finished 16th out of 28 teams. I think there was a correlation! :lol:

Wood Pile? What about this thread says "Wood Pile"?

I just got mine today, but there's a reset button on the back of mine. Even if it doesn't calibrate with the atomis clock, I will just set it to the official time the reps show us. I need the big numbers. Tom, after Dover, I didn't have too much to smile about, 'cept chicken.

Our atomic clock is ALWAYS spot on with the rep's atomic clock. I love it. Forgot it at Atchison and I finished 16th out of 28 teams. I think there was a correlation! :lol:

Wood Pile? What about this thread says "Wood Pile"?

Jeff,
We have scrubbed it twice now to keep in in comp and out of WoodPile.
Ya just missed it :lol:

TIM

We just hang a cheap clock that I set to my cell phone on Friday afternoon. Then Saturday morning when the reps come by we double check it against their clock. So far it's been on time.

A kcbs rep may use any clock and make it the offical clock. I use an atomic clock which normally matches most of the cooks. However, I have seen varience in cellular phones, depending upon the region of the country.

Always make certain what ever clock you use to match it to the Reps. Ask the Rep if he/she will be comming by saturday morning. I they are not going to visit the teams on Saturday AM then go find the clock and verify it on Satuday. Carol and I visit each team on Sat. AM to help insure the cooks do not have problem. I have seen clocks too mauch time between friday evening and saturday AM.

yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

I have an atomic clock with weather station that I picked up at COSTCO....when I remember to bring it.. otherwise the cell phone works as does an analog clock set ahead a few minutes...Try to set them to correspond to the official KCBS turn in clock. At Lime Rock, CT we had 2 atomic clocks (one accurate to the second, the other to the 100th of a second)! We did very well at Lime Rock...musta been all the clocks! I have no use for a watch.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back