Oh Weber Kettle, WHY are you so good to me...

mattdean1003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have decided that the Weber Kettle is certainly mans best invention. The wheel WAS invented from the Kettle, right?

My dad bought my stepmom a standard 22.5 OTS (I think its a OTS, it's the basic black Weber Kettle with an ashpan and the One Touch damper cleaner) for like 50 bucks last year and they're used it pretty much every other day lol. At any rate, last night the girlfriend and I decided we wanted grilled chicken. Didn't wanna load my Performer up into the back of my Blazer so I borrowed the regular Kettle, and man oh man, once you learn to cook on one it's so hard to cook on anything else.

Piled the coals to one side with 2 oak chunks and put the drumsticks with skin on and completely rubbed down with Bovine Bold and Yardbird on the other side, indirect. After 1.5 hours, skin was mostly crispy and the chikken laigs were done. Easily the JUICIEST chicken I have ever cooked. No idea what the kettle was running at as theirs doesn't have a thermometer built into the lid, but I had the drumsticks layered across one another because I ran out of room and they were STILL crispy, on indirect. Plowboys will be in my cabinet from now on...that stuff is good.

Like the kettle REALLY needs another great review but there was mine. Going to smoke a pork loin on it today. Hmmm....half rubbed, half salt and pepper...The girlfriend's parents aren't really big on the rubs because they give them heartburn so I usually dust theirs a little bit, but mine I load down lol. I've got the little charcoal holders that came with my Performer so I may try using them and putting the pork loin in the center of the weber.

Chikken? Chicken. Chix. Don't be chicken.

You said it, the kettle is tried and true one of the all time champs.

Kettle is hard to beat!

It was probably cooking 350-400 degrees. High heat chicken is the only way to go.

Yep, I cook my chicken on the Weber kettle around 400 degrees. HOT HOT HOT for chicken!

You really don't even need the coal holders, just pile it up on one side, put the meat on the other. There's really no reason to put the meat in the middle and coals on each side...coals on one side works just fine.

For me, a chimney filled with Kingsford blue to the top row of holes, lit and mostly white before I dump them, will run right around 400 with my vents wide open.

Yep, I cook my chicken on the Weber kettle around 400 degrees. HOT HOT HOT for chicken!

You really don't even need the coal holders, just pile it up on one side, put the meat on the other. There's really no reason to put the meat in the middle and coals on each side...coals on one side works just fine.

For me, a chimney filled with Kingsford blue to the top row of holes, lit and mostly white before I dump them, will run right around 400 with my vents wide open.
Same here!

I picked up a Performer off of CL about 3 weeks ago & I agree, Weber did it right!!! I've been firing that thing up at least 3-4 a week..It cooks insanely well, no flare ups, temps as high as I wanna go, and just so damn easy to get going and snuff out...Love playing with positioning of the upper vent for temp adjustment & really getting to know the grill...

I've had the temp guage pegged out a few times..What you guess the grate temp is when you have her wide open?

yep. the question about your favorite grill or if you could only have one, etc keep coming up and so many choose the weber kettle. i choose it also for many reasons.
but then i will probably hide a weber charcoal go-anywhere inside it !

Can't beat a Kettle for versatility. While I have several cookers, I find myself using my old Bar-B-Q-Kettle quite often. Smoke, grill, bake, whatever, Webers do it all well!

The basket coal holders allow for a longer burn in my opinion. With two indirect zone and a cool zone in the middle you can maximize the height of the kettle for things like 18 lb. turkeys or I like to do things on a homemade "hover grill grate" which allows me to do two levels of wings or drummies. Every method has its pros and cons

Back