Contest Announcment People's Choice Rib Cook Off - Hickville, NY - September 17th, 2011

I just spoke to Sal and here is all of the latest information:

Teams can set up Friday night between 8pm and 10pm or Saturday morning after 4am.
There will be a team meeting at 6am to go over the timeline, details, etc. At this time we will also be given a case and a half of ribs. (Still don't know if they are spares or baby backs.)
We are trying to arrange a potluck breakfast for 9am at a team's site. If a team wants to volunteer to hold the breakfast at their site, that would be great. Also, if teams want to volunteer to bring a breakfast item or two, please post it here so we can keep track of who's bringing what.
The event opens to the public and the car show begins at 10am.
The people's choice window is from 1pm to 4pm, but may go a little longer if teams still have ribs.
The judged portion of the ribs turn in is at 2pm. The window for turn in is from 2:00 to 2:10pm. The turn in will be at the Town of Oyster Bay grandstand trailer.
The judged portion of the ribs will consist of 3 ribs in a standard 9"x9" styrofoam container that will be provided at the team meeting. NO GARNISH!! If a team chooses to do so, they can line the box with a sheet of tin foil.
The award ceremony is scheduled for 5:30pm at the TOB grandstand trailer.
The GPS address of the event is 100 West Barclay St, Hicksville, NY.

The required materials each team must have are:
- Water container with a spigot for washing hands, a bucket to catch the running water, hand soap and paper towels.
- Wash/ Rinse/ Sanitize buckets and bleach.
- Fire exinguisher
- Latex or nylon disposable gloves
- Tongs for serving ribs to public
- Paper plates, napkins, plastic utensils (if serving a side), etc...
- If I forgot something, feel free to chime in.

As far as sides, we are allowed to serve a side with our ribs. The FD will be selling baked beans, cole slaw and corn bread, so please don't give away those items as a side. Some acceptable sides are: mac & cheese, pulled pork, ABT's, moink balls, etc. Please keep the sides to a small portion. The 2 oz plastic cups I posted a picture of earlier are perfect.

If I forgot something, please let me know.
I hope everyone is looking forward to this event. It should be a lot of fun!
Make sure you tell all of your family and friends to come down and support your team!

Smokenstein and The Monster Crew, Selden

P.S Now i know what Clint feels like, I am going to be famous :grin:

same here plus captain's meeting at the 6am food distribution

1 pm food service to the public

2 pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5 judging

Wow those ar gonna be some cold ribs judged since they will be in a box from 2. To 430:twisted:

Is a hose with a nozzle OK to use instead of a water container with a spigot for washing? We were told earlier that there would be running water on site as long as we brought our own 100' hose.

Buy one of those poland spring water jugs that are square and have an empty bucket to catch the water.

No after hanging out with sal the other night I see the event is totally legit, I'm not coming because I can't stand to be in the same area as you

You should come by. Your buddy Adam Richman will be there working with my team. :wink:

Hey Guys

Just an update......I've had no problem getting my entry fee refunded by these guys and got multiple phone calls regarding it. Obviously being two days before the event they are extremely busy....in addition to doing the job they VOLUNTEER to do when they arent working their regular 9-5.

Have some patience. I know I got a bit on edge but it was mostly due to the fact I wasnt able to get answers I needed in time to get the time off work. But I can assure you I will be in it next year......if they decide to put up with us again. haha

good luck to all
Mat

Back