View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #30
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Should there be a mandatory comment card for a score below a 6? Has this ever been discussed/voted on? Does anybody else support this? If enough members are interested in making this a rule how do we get it on the table?
I would like to see it mandatory, but don't think it ever will be. I believe KCBS might be worried you would drive those judges away if they feel pressured to do so...I think that would be the best thing that could happen to the judging pool...You need judges who are as commited to excellence in the judging as you do a cook competing. If the judge is not willing to make that commitment, I hope they will be driven out. I know as a competitor I have a little different view of judging then someone who does not. It seems we are constantly adding new judges here in CA. It probably took me a little less time to take the personal aspect of judging out of the equation because I compete, but it simpily does take time...I dont know how many times I have sat at a table with a non-CBJ or one that has judged 1-2 contest and they will give a score below a six and not even consider advising the team why...And I agree, the comment needs to be constructive and informative, if you cant articulate why you gave it a 3, 4 or 5, you have no business sitting in the seat.

I wish CBJ classes would concentrate on what makes BBQ above or below average, not is there Red leaf or kale in a box, how often does that happen at a contest?

But if I give a judge in a class a choice of Brisket, Butt, Ribs or Chicken, each one cooked to 160°, 195° and 215° do any of you competition cooks think there may be a difference in the tenderness of each of those...If I submit a non seasoned, a "properly" seasoned and a super coated with rub and sauce, do you think there maybe a different flavor profile...never understood why things like this are not done at classes. You know I am not gonna be sitting at the Algonquin Round table anytime soon, if I can think up this stuff, I am sure there are a lot smarter folks at KCBS that should be able to too!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->