• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Pat check autogarages, bakeries, and machine shops.

None taken, I have figured out how I want to build it and have been reading about them and searching for a drum for about two weeks. I just can't find one unlined and read what a PIA it is to burn/scrape them off. I am by the DC area and thought there might be a few others around who have found them and could tell me where they got theres.

...and I just signed up on this forum because there looked liked a lot of helpful folks.

Or maybe even garage sales........

DSCF5275.jpg

This must have been the maiden cook....can of pam in the pic. Mind you I didn't find it this way it was only the drum, I added everything else and then some.
DSCF5748.jpg

Oppps sorry. BUT garage sales do work.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

P.S. - the Auspit and ROL are in the above pic.

Or maybe even garage sales........

DSCF5275.jpg

This must have been the maiden cook....can of pam in the pic. Mind you I didn't find it this way it was only the drum, I added everything else and then some.
DSCF5748.jpg

Oppps sorry. BUT garage sales do work.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

P.S. - the Auspit and ROL are in the above pic.

When are you going to use it? Everything looks brand new and unused.

When are you going to use it? Everything looks brand new and unused.

The ROL is new with only one cook of salmon. The drum isn't new just looks that way. My lid keeps everything inside so the mess doesn't show. The Auspit has been used with an open fire and my off the ground rig a bunch of times, but being SS washes up real easy.

Here is a pic of the Auspit in action:
DSCF5687-1.jpg

Three chics, all oak coals and small limbs for smoke:wink::wink:. Here is a pic of my off the ground charcoal thingy with auspit.
DSCF5718.jpg

Those are wings on the grill surface, and you can see the pot hangy thingy and the grate that I have on backwards to use as a tray instead of an other grill surface.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

Awesome thread!!! Unlike some of the other newbies on here I did take the time and crank out every page of the thread. Every time i had a question ya'll would some it up in the following pages. Since joining (10 days )I've made my own UDS and did my test burn today. I'm going to try to turn out some shoulder for memorial day. I'll try to get pics. Thanks again to everyone on here!

Hey Guys I have a question I bought two food grade drum to build two smokers and i Built one and have been using it like crazy for about a year and half and just a few months it start to fall apart . So I was about start building a new one but I get a 55 gal from work and its a spill kit drum ( to put chemcial spill clean in the drums ) and the drum is clean. So I have a food grade drum and a chemcial drum. Why is the food grade drum taller then the chemcial drum ? And I'm guessing it does not matter as long as the top rack is 24in from the bottom of the fire basket put what happens if the top rack to the top is not 8in from the rack?

So I'm looking for sum help

Thank You
akarpf@aol.com

This is by far the best UDS Thread I have found, I am making one, can't wait to start smoking on something other than an electric smoker.

Don't read if working to stay under $100.00

16 Gage Steel 55g drum, UNLINED.

From: atl.sales@mcmaster.com [mailto:atl.sales@mcmaster.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:37 PM
To: sammyj@samshuford.com
Subject: McMaster-Carr Steel drums

Hi Sammy,

The inside of the 4115T46 is plain bare steel. We do have the corrosion-resistant models on this same page 1696.

Mark
McMaster-Carr

Ordered Thursday, picked up Friday.

Thanks, since I want food grade I will try the bakeries first.

If you are in DC and need barrels go to James T. Warring and Sons 301-322-5400
www.warringbarrels.com they are right on the DC /Md line in Capitol Heights right off Kenilworth

Thanks, I did contact them but never heard back, I will have to try again.

Quick question: Saw some arguing against the use of of the fiberglass seal used on older stoves; mean while, i still see alot of people using it. Some people said it would come off on your food has any one seen this?

What about one of these

This thread is great I've read it all (almost twice).
Finding a drum anywhere close has proven to be challenging. Found out today that Rural King has a 55gal trash barrel, I haven't gone to physically see it yet but here is the link from their site.
http://www.ruralking.com/metal-trash-barrel-55-gallon.html

Looks different from your typical 55 most everyone is using. Any thoughts?

Where can I find these shelf brackets? I would like to do something similar for my latest UDS build.
:help:

Do as i did ctbeerbq,make your own. I had an idea as to how and why they work. so i designed and build some for my drum. I used 4 regular door hinges modifiyed, had some aluminum to make the brackets,drilled the holes real close together and sawed and filed everything away i didn't need. Secured some 1/16" x1" x1" angle iron to the aluminum brackets and tested them to make sure i could raise them and pivot back so they would hang there.

Then i cut my lumber and secured them to the angle iron. i will stain them and apply several coats of polyurethane to protect them from the elements, the wood happens to be red oak.good luck. I first made one shelve, mounted it, worked the bugs out, looked good, until i unhooked and lowered it. It looked like crap, hanging down at an angle. Build the second one and ended up with the same result.

Well, i ended up removing them pop riveted some sheet metal to the drum to hide all the holes from the hinges,and re mounting them on the drum's center line. Looks a lot better now.

New to this but built my own before I discovered BBQ Brethren

Newbie here! I built my own UDS grill/smoker before I discovered this site. Little did I know I would have to build units for everyone who sees it.

Please tell me what you think. Thanks :clap2:

Attachments

• DSC_0484.jpg
    DSC_0484.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC_0483.jpg
    DSC_0483.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC_0481.jpg
    DSC_0481.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 934
I need some advice but first let me explain how I built my UDS. I have three 1" pipe nipples with 90* elbows and caps for vents. My fourth vent is a 1'' pipe nipple with a 90* elbow and 24'' long 1'' piece of pipe with a 1'' ball valve. I have 8 1'' holes for exhaust. I've done two cooks with this thing and have been able to get it dialed in at 250*-260* with just the ball valve wide open. Tonight for some reason it shot up to 300* and I have the ball valve almost choked down to close and I've covered up five of the exhaust to try an cool it down. It's running steady at 270*-275* but I'm cooking a pork shoulder and I wanted it down to around 225*-250*. I'm scared to choke it down more in fear of creating a creosote type atmosphere. Any ideas? I'm guessing I got the fire too hot to begin with by adding too many hot briquettes but I only used a half a chimney full.

Heres my drum. I have four intakes, three with caps one of which is on a ball valve. 6 inch tall stack with rain-cap. Three inch thermometer and a single grate (for now) held up with four bolts. There is also pics of my Memorial Day Boston butt. The side showing is the fat cap. I turned it after four hours and took it off once it hit 170 degrees. I used a homemade rub with a light brown sugar, salt, and chili base, among other spices. Thanx again for all the info here, awesome advice for anyone starting out.

Attachments

• downsize_4.jpg
    downsize_4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 891
  • downsize_3.jpg
    downsize_3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 889
  • downsize_2.jpg
    downsize_2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 886
  • downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg