BBQ Books

dannypat21

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Was looking to order some books on BBQ, I hear Startin The Fire is a good read....anyone have any suggestions on a must have book? Thanks guys!

Are you looking for books about the BBQ culture or how to make some 'Q?

Eric

Peace Love And BBQ by Mike MIlls, Or any of Dr. BBQ's books.

Ditto on "Peace Love & BBQ" and anything by Ray Lampe (Dr. BBQ). Ray frequently posts here.

Here's a list: http://www.drbbq.com/whosdrbbq.php

A couple of other favorites are "Legends of Texas Barbeque Cookbook" by Robb Walsh and "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl & Bill Jamison.

Another vote for Peace, Love and BBQ, Dr. BBQ's books, Smoke & Spice, and adding Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang.

I like Raichlen's BBQ USA as it covers just about everything. Hell, it was worth buying just for the chipotle grilled salsa recipe.

I bought a bunch some years ago.
The one I keep going back to is "Paul Kirk's Championchip Barbecue". The intro for each chapter is fun to read and he has tons of recipes in there. I usually change them a little to what I think I like. He also has one on sauces.
Another good one is "Smoke & Spice" from Jamison and Alters.

Bottom line is read and then make up your own stuff.
It's kinda like trying to make Gold.
Make sure you write down every thing you do, otherwise you'll never be able to replicate "The Perfect Recipe" ...been there done that.

I have one called Sauces, Rubs and Marinades by Raichlen. Some good stuff to work from in there.

I second BBQ USA, i've adopted the Memphis mustard slaw on page 249, awesome with pulled pork, in a sandwich or just tossed together

I have a ton of BBQ books - most given to me as gifts for B-days and Christmas. I'll be honest, the only ones I ever use are the Dr. BBQ books. Some of the others are fun to read - but I don't have any luck with the recipes. I will say this - there is no book published that has more GOOD and USEFUL information than what you can find in 5 mins on this forum!

Has anyone read the Gibson BBQ book..?!? Thought about ordering it after the BBQ Central Show...

Back