First Steaks on the new BGE (and funnel cakes for dessert)

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Real quick, I'm a divorcee dad with two sons who I have custody of. Since my divorce last year, I have learned how to cook and really enjoy it. BBQing is the newest part of my culinary education, and I'm very happy to be here.

As some of you know I just got a BGE. Tonight I cooked for the boys and my parents. I cooked 4 ribeyes and a T-bone. All were marinated in a garlic/peppercorn concoction for 2 hours.

Please tell me if I'm using the BGE right. First I filled the firebox with lump to just above the air holes. Then I lit up 1/3 of a charcoal chimney of lump and poured it on top of the lump in the firebox along with 4 chunks of hickory. I let this burn with the lid open for about 10 minutes. Then I closed the lid, but kept both dampers wide open and let the lump burn for 30 minutes. At this point the thermometer read 575. I put the steaks on and closed the lid for 3 minutes. Then I flipped the steaks and closed the lid for 2 minutes. Then I closed both dampers and let them cook for 4.5 minutes. I checked the steaks and they were too rare. I opened both dampers halfway and let them cook 5 more minutes. The steaks came out probably just a little done.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Am I using the right amount of lump? Lighting it correctly?

Here are pics: Before grilling, during grilling, and after they're done.

Also, just for fun, I included a couple pics of my homemade funnel cakes I made for dessert.

17268_1211247681579_1240356837_30540967_4821249_n.jpg

17268_1211246761556_1240356837_30540966_4481962_n.jpg

17268_1211248441598_1240356837_30540968_6748488_n.jpg

17268_1211296722805_1240356837_30541050_4359145_n.jpg

17268_1211297162816_1240356837_30541052_7804989_n.jpg

You are on the right track. I would have cooked them 6 minutes a side with the high heat.

Looks like some good steaks there. Never had funnel cakes though.

Wow, that looks great. Thanks for takin me back with those funnel cakes.

Looks like some good steaks there. Never had funnel cakes though.
Oh man. Think... greasy crunchy chewy sorta donut texture topped with enough powdered sugar to give an insulin shock. Many childhood nights sharing one with my grandmother and my brother after a night on the boardwalk or at Six Flags.

Everybody likes their steak their own way, so if it turns out like you like it, you did it right. My favorite is, singed on the outside and a lot of pink on the inside, with little or no red. A couple things that work for me is; get the fire as hot as i can get it, and only flip once.

Great steaks! I don't have a BGE but they looks like you got it down from here.

And funnel cakes, are kidding me, those things are the best carny food there is!

Sounds and looks like you got her down.You will learn to get them the way you want the with just one flip with a little practise.For those of you who haven't had funnel cake it is a must.

Any details on the garlic/peppercorn concoction?

The method that you used for the steaks is what BGE recommends, I believe. I like to sear mine directly over the coals and finish indirect, so i use a half moon pan and a heat barrier to create a direct cooking area and an indirect area. It is similar to what you did but I don't close the vents, I just move the steak to a grate that is positioned over the half moon pan (a half moon grate).

Also, look at the T-Rex steak method on the Naked Whiz site...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

no problem on the lighting method and there are several different ways to light an egg. i would probably close the dome directly after tossing on the chimney of lump instead of letting it burn for 10 minutes open.

14.5 minutes is a little long at those temps for steaks that thickness if you were shooting for rare/medium. i would have stuck them with a red or gray thermapen at around 10 minutes

I get my grill up to around 700 and depending on the thickness leave on from 8-12 minutes depending on thickness.

I ditched all the fancy techniques and now just cook them on a raised grid at gasket level. Try to stay around 400 - 425.

you are on the right track, but you might find that you do not need all that lump in there. The deeper the stack of lump, the hotter it will get, but it will take awhile (30 minutes like you noticed) to get up to grill temps if you load it up full, and then add lit ones on top. I use smaller piles of lump, and build a pyramid of the briquettes...I am up to grilling temps in 10 minutes...15 tops in my primo oval xl (same principle as your egg). For long cooks (ribs, butts, brisket, etc) I load up the firebox like you did though

Back